Thrift store dumpster score

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a really small thrift store in town that I check their dumpster once or twice a week. They throw away probably half of what gets donated. I always come away with something. Stopped by there Friday and it was full of cassette tapes and pillows. Most of the cassettes were gospel music so I didn't grab any of those but there were some boxed computer games mixed in. I grabbed all of those and along with some newer games was a box called "GATO", I opened it up and it was complete and the game disk was a 5.25" old school floppy! It was for IBM, PC, AT, XT. Got it hom and checked on ebay. Saw one or two others that were for Atari or commodore 64, but not this one. I put it on ebay and it sold within an hour for $34 delivered! I pull stuff out of that dumpster all the time that is in the $10-$20 range but that was my nest score so far. I also found a gift wrapped packaged, STILL WRAPPED, so they didn't even look to see what it was before they threw it away. Opened it and it was a Silver plated "Babys first bible". Sells for $10-$15 but who knows what could have been in that package? Its my favorite local honey hole.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
You ever get any Twizzlers?

I don't care if they are expired or not- I'm addicted.

Nice find on the game...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You never know unless you look!

Tinse

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Quebec
Detector(s) used
N/A
Primary Interest:
Other
We have a large thrift store just down the street from where we live. DH and I check their dumpster every morning. DH does a 're-con' during the wee hours, taking along his flashlight, and once it gets light enough, I go, and I take my shopping cart with me.

Sometimes a nearby social club for seniors uses the dumpster instead of filling up the one behind their club, and we find canned goods, and other non-perishable food items. The expiry dates on the items have just passed; the food is still good. DH found six cans of peas this morning!

Tinse

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Quebec
Detector(s) used
N/A
Primary Interest:
Other
You ever get any Twizzlers?

I don't care if they are expired or not- I'm addicted.

Nice find on the game...

We've found some, two packs of red ones. DH likes them. I'm sure that they were thrown in the dumpster by someone from the local seniors' club. (See my previous post).

Tinse

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Quebec
Detector(s) used
N/A
Primary Interest:
Other
Earlier this week, DH hauled home a karaoke system and a cable digital box. Like the OP mentioned, this store must toss away half their donations. I imagine the store gives the items a certain amount of time to sell and if the items aren't bought, into the dumpster they go.

I found a huge aluminum bowl yesterday morning - the price tag was still on it - $1.50. :laughing7:

DH will sell it for scrap along with the other metal he collects.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread