Thrift Store Find Antique Painting

chadkeath

Jan 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey gang. Was junkin the other day and found this awesome painting. It is from the 1940's. It looks like a painting of a Venice canal. Came from a gallery. The gallery is called Findlay Galleries. Large painting. I found that Findlay Galleries had some of the best painters of the 20th century including Picasso. But I cannot figure out the signature. So maybe some one on the board can take a stab at it . Thanks guys!

Attachments

• DSC06919.JPG
    DSC06919.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC06921.JPG
    DSC06921.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC06923.JPG
    DSC06923.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC06925.JPG
    DSC06925.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 179

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I don't know over much about paintings however if the gallery still around you can contact them and they should be able to help you. I had to do it with a fredric Douglas autograph from the 1800s. So just an idea if the gallery is still there you can probably be your best bet not only the name but how much the things worth too?

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried playing the "match the signature to the name" game using that site Lost&Found provided. Closest I can get is Hypolite Madelaine as far as the last name goes. Can't find a signature comparison so far, though.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say give them a call, I'm sure someone would be happy to help. If this gallery sold Picasso then I have to agree with lost & found, this could be a heck of a find.

OP
OP
C

chadkeath

Jan 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi gang thanks for the help. I contacted the New York gallery and they are going get back with me I hope as they were closed on Sat and Sun. Found out from another source the Findlay Galleries carried some of the most well known painters in the early mid 20th century. Some others Chagall, Degas and grandma moses. So will keep you all updated.

StoneyRun

Mar 10, 2013
S.W. Missouri
Detector(s) used
old faithful Radio Shack
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I logged in to specifically ask what did you find out? The good and the bad, I am interested to know!

Cheri

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is definitely a quality painting. I think you got a good one.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no art expert, but to me that painting has allot of wonderful things going on with light, shade & reflection. No doubt done by a skilled artist. It's beautiful, I'd like to own it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread