thrift store gold mine

jfoto

Feb 19, 2011
Virginia
I'm not affiliated with this.. but was wondering if anyone has bought this e-book? its called THRIFT STORE GOLD MINES:

http://www.thriftstoregoldmines.com/

I think its a bit pricey at $30 but according to this youtube vid :

(The video gives 2 examples of what to look for inside thrift stores and the video shows some ebay completed auctions .. the 2 examples the video gives is vintage buttons and vintage belt buckles)

looks like it has some real valuable info and im interested.. my question is.. has anyone read this? ordered this? anyone have any additional info/feedback on this product?

I'm thinking about ordering it, would anyone want to chip in and split the costs of it? If we got 8 people to chip in, thats $5 a person.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't be interested but that's just me. Usually the only person these types of things help is the one who is selling them. Thrift stores are pretty hard hit around in my area but I do score evry now and then.
All it takes is common sense, timing (being there when the "new" stuff hits the shelves) and a good eye. In saying that though, I will say that I have been reading and researching antiques and collectibles for several years now and i've barely touched the subject. I'm not really schooled in any one area of buying, it's a variety of things that I buy. I've bought many things that I had no clue as to the real value, but the price was right so I took a chance and scored. I've bought things that I do know about, paid a little more for them and not been able to make a decent profit, so go figure.
Some of the guidelines for me when buying for resale are (in no particular order) age, condition, price, brand name, quality, uniqueness, collectability and even a gut feeling sometimes.
All in all just use common sense and buy cheap. Read some of my posts on this forum and you'll see what i've bought, what I paid and what I sold it for on ebay. I'm fixing to update one post right now. Good luck.

OP
OP
jfoto

jfoto

Feb 19, 2011
Virginia
thanks for the good luck and I assure you im not affiliated with that company and I am not selling it.. im just interested in the information.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jfoto said:
thanks for the good luck and I assure you im not affiliated with that company and I am not selling it.. im just interested in the information.
I believe you and for someone who hasn't been doing this type of thing for any length of time or for someone who wants to start getting into it, it may be a good thing for them. :thumbsup:

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
The ebook that really helped me is called "Stop for Gold" by (CyberDan)

I used one of the tips from his posts here on T-net, made some money from a candle holder and then bought his e-book. (My net cost was better than zero dollars!) My parents were in the antique business, so I have been around this for a while and I still learned a lot about buying (and selling) gold, silver and jewelry from yard sales.

http://www.stopforgold.biz/

I have nothing to do with his book, but I think it will help you so I thought I would post this.
Also read his old posts (Cyberdan's) and diggummup's
Randyd

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
The one thing that helped me the most was studying ebay's completed sales. I've sat for hours just studying things that sold.

I started making lists of stuff that I saw for sale, but wasn't sure of. I just wrote down "Singer Featherweight, Model ____" and the price, and then studied the completed sales for that item when I got home.

You will miss out on some stuff, and it will make you sick that you missed out on the Singer Featherweight for $35 (and would have sold for $400), but you'll learn like you have never learned before.

The best part is that you'll learn not only Singer Featherweights, but also about their manuals, parts, cases, sewing books, needles, etc.

Start with a list of stuff you like, whether it is tools, toys, coins, jewelry, trains, or furniture...study those lists like no tomorrow, and you'll be surprised how much you'll learn and earn in the future!!!

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have thumbed through 4 "how to sell on ebay books" in the past 2 months hoping to find something that I am missing. If I could actually find something worth while I would pay money for it, but I already make 2-3k a month on top of my full time job selling on ebay. I learned everything I know from my mother who is writing her Ebook right now. $30.00 seems pretty damn steep in my opinion. She will be pricing her ebook around $10.00, and I am sure it will be worth every penny. I knew nothing about selling on ebay before she showed me the tricks of the trade.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jfoto said:
I'm not affiliated with this.. but was wondering if anyone has bought this e-book? its called THRIFT STORE GOLD MINES:
I'm thinking about ordering it, would anyone want to chip in and split the costs of it? If we got 8 people to chip in, thats $5 a person.

Around this part West of Ft. Worth, Tx., most Thrift stores know what is worth dollars that keep their doors open.... Finding anything on the shelves worth double what the price tag says would be a rare fluke.

Locally, each week the thrift store takes all the thick silver jewelry and rings, then puts them into a single lot behind a glass case. People bid on the lot numbers on paper until Saturday at "High Noon". At that point live bids take over with people standing around for that lot or 6 or 7 others of different themes. Highest bidder wins and Goodwill makes a higher % of profit for that week.

That edition of the book needs updating to be worth anything to anyone needing dollars for the basics. This website, it's helpful members, and its blended forums have taught me what and how to find things.... It also takes some drive to get up and get out to the sales EARLY, but the showing kindness and thanking people has its own internal reward as well. Going on Friday and Saturday morning and gaining experience each time, makes things better and frustrations farther apart.

Honestly, from April of last year, to this April, including some old and rare finds of 10kt and 14kt gold rings and I.D. bracelet in 10 years of detecting, I've SOLD almost $8,000 in junk Jewelry gold and silver with under $550 spent buying at Garage sales and the Registered Mail charges.... Plus, averaging sales totaling $1,000 each time, I've doubled my money after paying for vendor fees and newspaper ads on things sold at 3 flea markets and 3 garage. It's been the only way to buy things I could not buy now, or think of owning in the changing future.

Sadly, I don't know how much longer things can go on as our economy, food, and fuel troubles are showing harder times with little hope of improvement in the next two or three years.... The "New Normal" may have Thrift Stores and Garage sales selling eggs, veggies, fresh meats, and Blackmarket products....if you have something to buy them or trade for them...

April and May are Prime Months, so Get out there and Good Luck!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread