Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my usual one bag of jewelry a month. They actually hold it in the back and save it for me

Right on top I spot an old pocket watch. And could tell it was gold right away

Elgin pocket watch. Serial.number indicates it was made in 1926. 9 gram 10k gold chain. And the watch case is 14k. It is not running and the glass is missing. So I might just scrap it

Anyone have an idea on what this thing is worth. I haven't finished searching the bag yet so there may be more gold to find!!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485907666.352858.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485907695.275807.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485907743.178346.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485907838.839352.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485907855.114779.jpg

Upvote 19

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that's sure nice! I wouldn't scrap it! It's beautiful. Scrap value on it for the 9 grams of 10K at about $16/gram is gonna give you about $144 give or take. Probably a lot more than you paid for it at the local Salvation Army store lol.

Honestly, if you're looking to make some good profit, I'd try to get it fixed up and running...then sell that bad boy for $400-$600 possibly. Maybe more. Again, it's a beautiful piece!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice watch score!

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find.
I wish I had a store willing to save jewelry for me.
Congrats

They have been saving the bulk jewelry for me for around 2 1/2 years

If you look back though my posts you will see some of the good stuff I have found. I usually pull about $100 worth of precious metal from every $25 bag

I then unload all the leftovers on letgo or Craigslist. I just sold a Rubbermaid tub that was full and almost 75 pounds for $100. Yes I know costume jewelry is valuable. But I don't have the time to list and sell all the individual pieces for a few dollars profit

Here is the tub I sold. This is about the 10th tub this size that I have sold

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485913769.933267.jpg

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's sure nice! I wouldn't scrap it! It's beautiful. Scrap value on it for the 9 grams of 10K at about $16/gram is gonna give you about $144 give or take. Probably a lot more than you paid for it at the local Salvation Army store lol.

Honestly, if you're looking to make some good profit, I'd try to get it fixed up and running...then sell that bad boy for $400-$600 possibly. Maybe more. Again, it's a beautiful piece!

Scrap at about 144 for the chain. But also can catch some scrap value for the case. Thinking it at least has to be 5 grams. So another $115

So. Scrap spot value at 250. And maybe get. 175 from my gold buyer.

Don't know if I want to spend another $100-$200 in repairs to make $100. See what I mean?

luke_00

Jun 15, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weigh the watch. Calculate 25% of the weight as gold weight for an open face, 30% for a hunter case. Not 100% accurate, but very close.

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scrap at about 144 for the chain. But also can catch some scrap value for the case. Thinking it at least has to be 5 grams. So another $115

Don't know if I want to spend another $100-$200 in repairs to make $100. See what I mean?

Yeah true....I forgot about the other weight. In that case maybe it's better to scrap the thing and get some gas/beer money. Me personally, I'd probably fix it and keep it. It's an amazing find! Wouldn't let it go for enough money to just pay my cell phone bill and buy a burger. That's just me though. To each their own! Either way it's a good profit I'm sure! Nice find [emoji106]🏻

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

You lose that much from your gold buyer? Time for ARA and lose 2%. You are getting robbed. If worth 250.00 ARA would give you 245.00.

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Don't scrap it.....its a piece of history. A new crystal will run $30 for glass.....$7 for plastic. The movement (the watch it self) most likely need a simple cleaning unless its taken a heavy hit which it doesn't look to have. Even if the movement is shot you can get a functioning replacement for $30. My great grand father was one of the founders of Elgin....so I'm into them naturally.

Paul

gatordog7

Sep 21, 2015
Hixson, TN
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett Pinpointer, Lesche digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul you seem to know your way around watches, question? Family friend has a couple of old pocket watches that her dad left her. Is there a certain website that you would recommend to start some research into values?

Thanks!
Gatordog

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is freakin sweet you would be surprised also at some yard sales in jewelary boxes and stuff the gold and silved Keep up the great treasure hunting and Thanks for sharing!!!Tommy

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weigh the watch. Calculate 25% of the weight as gold weight for an open face, 30% for a hunter case. Not 100% accurate, but very close.

So the watch weighs 55 grams. So you are saying it should be close to 13.75 grams of 14k

I did test the crown and the handle on the watch and they both test good for 14k as well

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how many donated things of value never hit the sales floor, because people in the back know what they are looking for and have buyers ready to swoop in. I haven't wasted my time at these stores any more.

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thrift store where I buy the bags doesn't let the gold ever go to the floor. It immediately goes to the refinery. They do sell all the silver they find

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Just my thoughts! Most Elgin Pocket Watches that came in 14kt Gold Cases almost always have a higher quality Elgin Pocket Watch Movement inside. Since I can't find my' NAWCC Book, I can't determine which movement is in the Pocket Watch Case you got in the bag at the Thrift Store. However, I believe that it is a fairly common, lower quality and lower value Open Face Movement which replaced the original movement in the case but I could be wrong and there are websites where you can determine what Movement it is and date it was produced by entering the Serial Number. Also, who knows if the Case ever even came with an Elgin Movement as Keystone made a lot of Pocket Watch Cases for a lot of different Makers. My recommendation would be to remove the movement from the case, so that you can the true weight and Gold value out of the case, then sell the movement online or elsewhere to someone who wants the movement for parts or to repair. I believe that in this way, you get an even better win...win situation!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread