thrift store selling fakes

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
in my town there's a thrift store that has a bunch of jewelry that they buy new and isn't donated, well I was going through it and a lot of it was marked 925 and I was pretty sure it was fake so I bought the cheapest item took it home and tested it. it ended up being copper plated in chrome, so I took it back and showed them cuase I figured they didn't know and were being had as well. the owner looked at it and didn't seem shocked at all, and with out me asking or anything went over and returned my money to me, what do you guys think I should do with this? because they a still selling all of it like its silver and ordering more of it even after I showed her that it wasn't and that I'm pretty sure it illegal to do that.

OP
OP
willis7

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
do I just go through the police for that or somebody else?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting, and I think there are laws against this. Might depend on the state you're in.

These items might be passed on several times along the way... You'd be saving trouble for others if you reported them - THEY ARE THIEVES!

Police....

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
tt
do I just go through the police for that or somebody else?

Wait until somebody else is working and buy another piece,test it and if its the same then go to the cops.You'll have evidence.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure they will weasel thier way out of any liabilty, claiming they "didnt know" and the buyer is at his or her own risk. I think voicing it like you are now is a great start.

And maybe put some info on your local craiglist, and maybe get the "whistle blowing" that way

OP
OP
willis7

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
all of it felt like cheap steel flatware and they all have tags on them saying sterling as well as being marked 925

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Now, if there is a sign that says solid sterling silver .925.

I think that would also be a case of false advertising.If the store owner is knowingly selling it as 925 even though it is mismarked he's as guilty of fraud the manufacturer that marked it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're doing what many ebay sellers do to some degree, you just put it out there and let the buyers decide. It's a very similar type situation to the garbage gold coins that are sold on infomercials. They talk about the measurement of gold in terms many people wouldn't understand, so most who buy think they are getting a collectible gold coin when they are getting junk. So in this case the shop owner could say the items are 925 plated, and even though he is totally deceiving people, it might not be against the law.

OP
OP
willis7

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
I don't think it is but it's worth checking again before reporting them

OP
OP
willis7

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
I don't if it was part of the name or not but it's worth double checking before I report them

OP
OP
willis7

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
I understand what your saying I'll have to do some more looking at kansas laws and double check how they are representing the jewelry as

OP
OP
willis7

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
lol yeah it seems like at least once a month a buy something that's fake but I've never bought the same thing twice it only takes once for me to learn

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nitric the difference is is if the store owner or person knowingly sell it to you knowing it was fake.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it does not matter how it is presented by the store. if the tag says 925 then it is being sold as silver. They have been told and the owner has done nothing about it. Call your local newspaper see if they want to do a little detective work. reporters used to do that all the time. now most of them just repeat what the bad companies tell them to say.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Red, if I would have to think about calling the cops on some bones someone thought were real, I wouldn't call them over some trinket few dollar pieces of jewelry! Just saying, I don't call the cops! Unless it is something huge!

I just go by principles,not dollar amount.I dont rip anybody off so I expect the same treatment in return.

And it does matter on how it is presented and worded.

Thats what Ive been saying.You cannot knowingly sell something or advertise it as something other than what it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread