Throwing big money at the hobby...

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
scrounger said:
the obvious is being overlooked. the man in the first story probably bought the top machine for the simple reason PRESTIGE. he wanted to be noticed.transform this to cars,and it will make sense. how many millions of people rev the engine,squeal the tires,or use loud performance mufflers to try and get noticed? does it help them arrive at their destination any better.at least with the pricey detector there is some hope of benefit for dollars paid if the guy sticks with it and finally learn the machine.
Yep, sounds about right.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can never know how someone new to detecting will develop, so it's hard to know what to suggest. With that In mind I try and recommend the best within their budget for the type of hunting they THINK they will be doing.

Here is 2 short stories that show just how tricky it can be when recommending a detector.

I know a guy who wanted to get into metal detecting with a "money is no object" budget and finding coins and jewelry as a goal. I recommend the DFX which he tried several times before selling it and buying another top of the line detector. That one he used several times as well and sold it because he wasn't swimming in loot. Later he wanted to try again but he finally understood it would take some work on his part, and that just buying an expensive detector didn't ensure good finds. He bought a $300 used detector, learned to use it, and now does very well. If you ask him what detector is best he of course recommend the $300 model.

I know this other guy that wanted to get into detecting just a few weeks ago. I recommended the DFX again and let him try mine with no coaching. He found coins his first hunt so he bought his own DFX. Last week he found his first wheat, and yesterday he found 2 more and his first mercury dime. Ask him to recommend a detector, even for a beginner, and you can guess what he''ll say.

As I said you never know how things will turn out.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I like you ethics Colonel, You should tell this guy to hang onto his high dollar machine and since he can obviously afford it, get a simpler one to learn with, then start using the first one he bought. It sounds like he really wants to get into detecting. I would think he would appreciate it down the road.

HH Charlie

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out not knowing anything about detectors or detecting. I bought a Chinese machine, not knowing it was such. It had lots of pretty buttons and icons and lightening bolts and dragons (well I am exaggerating a little). I could hardly find anything and nearly quit the sport, hobby or whatever you wish to call it. Addiction is most like it! I got rid of it and went to a Bounty Hunter because it was the only other machine I had ever heard of. I found stuff! Lots of stuff! Some gold and some silver and some junque and crappe'! I was thrilled! I found Tnet and in time moved up to a Garrett GTI 2500 and I found stuff where I had already found stuff with the BH. But that 2500 was heavy and I have a bad back and it killed me to swing it for very long. So I got an Ace 250 and pretty much cleaned out all the stuff in the areas I had been hunting. Then I got to seeing where people were finding stuff much deeper than I had been digging and so I had to have a Minelab Safari to find that deep stuff. And I am not finding stuff anymore! I am really struggling with learning the Safari. I am finding deep junque and crappe', but no stuff! I have a little cheap or rather inexpensive Tesoro SilverUmax I won at a hunt and I can still find stuff with it! Found a silver ring just a couple of weeks ago with it. So, maybe you can get in over your head even though you've gained a little experience? Perhaps learned just enough to get you into trouble? I think maybe I have and I am thinking seriously about selling the new Safari and checking out a Tesoro top of the line machine. Uh Oh, here we go again! M ::) nty

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well said Monty. :thumbsup:

"checking out a Tesoro top of the line machine"
Go for it Monty. ;D

have a good un....
SHERMANVILLE

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hio Seamuss, that lil Garrett Scorpion is a terribly "underrated" machine. Properly used, it WILL produce, and it is simple to use. After all, it was the top line machine in it's day, then modified for finding Gold .Of course I would love an infinium to accompany it. Yes, I do have a Scorpion with 3 coils, the two elongated ones and a 5 " coaxial which is fantastic.
Don Jose de La Mancha

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Real de Tayopa said:
hio Seamuss, that lil Garrett Scorpion is a terribly "underrated" machine. Properly used, it WILL produce, and it is simple to use. After all, it was the top line machine in it's day, then modified for finding Gold .Of course I would love an infinium to accompany it. Yes, I do have a Scorpion with 3 coils, the two elongated ones and a 5 " coaxial which is fantastic.
Don Jose de La Mancha

Hi Don Jose,
Your right about it being under rated. I haven't used it enough until last year and now I take it every where. The gold I found with it is great and found all sorts of small coins, pull tabs and trinkets with it.

All brands have great detectors but I won't trade my scorpion for one of them. The Infinium LS is on my wish list with maybe a Minelab also.

Sea'mus King of the Leprechaun
A pot of gold at the end of the
rainbow for everyone.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, my first detector back in the day was a White's 6000/D. it took a little while to get the hang of but it certainly was not as sophisticated as today's units. I am still intimidated by some of the detectors today (E-trac) etc. That's why I prefer Tesoro's! If I were just starting MDing today, I would definitely not have the most sophisticated unit on the market, but, that's just me.

Rick aka thrillathahunt

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my best hunting buddies has gone to Tesoro and he loves them as well as his Mrs. who now hunts with him a lot. I keep hearing more and more good things about them, so I think they are the up and coming detector. Nothing fancy really, just good solid modern circutry wih not too many bells and whistles and a lifetime warranty. That's reliability I guess? Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread