Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shadowwalker

Feb 19, 2006
That's cool. My grandparents used to take the grandkids to some place in southern central colorado every few years. We would camp out and go to a large spot at the base of a cliff. Beside this spot is a place we could dig for them. We also used to fing them in a stream bed. I last went when I was about 8 or 9 years old. When your that young you don't pat attention to where your going. Or directions. I have asked and none of the cousins or my side of the family can remember where it was. Both grandparents are dead so I guess I'll never get back. I still have some of the eggs not busted open. I still have some we busted and cut. All have crystals and one has something that looks like gold flecks.
We also went to a area that had "rose rocks" we also picked these up, but out of a cave. Again didn't pay attention.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I'm gonna have to check that out. Thundereggs are the state rock of Oregon and I have never hunted for them, lol! Found a couple by accident though. They're mostly in the eastern part of our state.

Is this the show that has Becky Morley? Worley? I can't remember.... heheheh!

T

TreasureTales

Becky found both thundereggs (solid) and geodes (hollow) on her trip to New Mexico. That was cool. I like to look for geodes and thunderegss myself. I went to Oregon once to find thundereggs. I didn't do very well, but I had a great time. I've found some very small geodes in California, they were so small as a matter of fact that now I can't find them!!!! Drat!

So far, many/most of the shows pertain to one facet or another of rockhounding. I wish Becky would spend more time out with a metal detector. She did one show about MDing a Civil War site, but she could also do some detecting at an old mining camp or lumber camp. Also, she could go to the site of an old dancehall or some similar place and dig for silver coins. Or she could go to Tonopah, NV and dig the dump there, that would be great. AND it would be interesting if she did a show about treasure signs and symbols.

All in all, I give the series a grade of B-.

P

pokerbear

I saw both of those shows last night. I found the one about the Diamond Crater more interesting. One thing I can't seem to get is what do you do with the diamonds you dig. I saw one old guy with a suitcase full, he indicated that they were worth a bundle but he didn't want to sell them.

So my question is this, if you go to Arkansas and dig some diamonds; A) are they worth anything? and B) how do you go about selling them without creating some type of business enterprise and C) could one make a decent living doing it?

HH
Pokerbear

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding The Big Diamond Industry will Make Big Bucks
on Diamomds, and the Little Guy will not.

Diamonds are only worth what someone will pay,
and in most cases you would need to pay
to have your diamonds cut & mounted before you could sell them.
and then you would need to hunt someone down who would
be willing to pay you.

Either way, you'll be lucky to get 1/10 the price a Jeweler will charge
for the exact same thing.

T

TreasureTales

pokerbear said:
I saw both of those shows last night. I found the one about the Diamond Crater more interesting. One thing I can't seem to get is what do you do with the diamonds you dig. I saw one old guy with a suitcase full, he indicated that they were worth a bundle but he didn't want to sell them.

So my question is this, if you go to Arkansas and dig some diamonds; A) are they worth anything? and B) how do you go about selling them without creating some type of business enterprise and C) could one make a decent living doing it?

HH
Pokerbear

First of all, the odds of finding a diamond at Crater of Diamonds State Park are not good. Second, the 4 C's of diamonds will determine the approximate value: Carat (weight), Clarity (impurities?), Color ("white" diamonds being the usual moneymakers), and Cut (the manmade shape of the stone). The diamonds there are not of the highest quality. Some, however, have been sold for thousands of dollars--those are rare examples. You could sell the rough stone to a cutter or collector, but it would have to be something special. Many diamonds have been found in California, but most of them are commercial grade...while the big bucks comes from gem-quality/jewelry grade. Selling a good one wouldn't be a problem, just list it on eBay or some other worldwide auction house with a certificate of authenticity.

Most of the diamonds that one man (during the show) had would probably not be worthwhile to cut, so he knew better than to try. The better quality ones were not for sale, I assume, because they meant more to him than the money.

Jeff of PA is correct about the diamond market. It is artificially elevated due to the intense advertising campaigns and propoganda machines created by an extremely small group of diamond producers. DeBeers is the primary culprit. It's nearly a monopoly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread