✅ SOLVED Thurs, Fri creek finds: Am I dreaming?

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found the point on Thursday and the pipe on Friday at the same spot in the creek.
IMAG0127.jpg
IMAG0128.jpg
IMAG0130.jpg
IMAG0131.jpg
IMAG0132.jpg

Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pinch yourself hard, and if neeeded, pour a glass of ice water over your head. If you don't wake up, you're not dreaming, lol. Nice finds. I wonder how old the pipe is?

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Cool finds. Those lines look like the work from the Pamplin Pipe factory in VA, but I don’t recognize the design.

Do you see any seams where two halves were joined? Or do you have a really old one?

OP
OP
P

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds. Those lines look like the work from the Pamplin Pipe factory in VA, but I don’t recognize the design.

Do you see any seams where two halves were joined? Or do you have a really old one?

I don't know much about pipes. But I do throw pottery and I'm familiar with attaching handles, spouts, etc. to clay bodies. I think this is NA. I might be wrong. The mouth hole in the stem end is irregular (i.e. the stem is thicker on one side, thinner on the other side...not perfect). In the 2nd picture you can see where some of the grit (sand or whatever) that NAs tempered their pottery with has eroded out. I don't know. I pretty sure Steven Davis at UNC Chapel Hill could tell me in a second. Might contact him.

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All right. Don't know about pipe but point is a dandy,like the serrations. Great finds both.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it possible to get close up pictures of the stem hole and the bowl? It does look like a Pipe from the Pamplin factory like Joshua stated. Does it have a seam? Very cool find. Congrats!!

OP
OP
P

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it possible to get close up pictures of the stem hole and the bowl? It does look like a Pipe from the Pamplin factory like Joshua stated. Does it have a seam? Very cool find. Congrats!!

I googled the Pamplin Pipe Co and it does look very much like some of their pipes (thanks Joshua). I'll try to post some more pictures later. It is a "2 piece" pipe. The stem and bowl were made separately and attached. The inside of the bowl is blackened with use. Mind boggling to me that I found it.

OP
OP
P

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't see any seam, but I know clay and can see how the 2 pieces were attached. Do something similar still today when attaching clay handles to mugs.

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck yeah! The creek gave up some good ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread