Tick Warning

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So, while out detecting today I was distracted be the good fins that I was making. I noticed a tick on my had. Normally I wouldn't worry about it because they are slow in the winter. It was about 45 degrees. Last May I let my guard down and got a few tick bites. I went to my doctor and she sent me home without antibiotic. I've had Lyme's disease before and usually do a course of antibiotic.It does not help with a virus.
Two days latter I woke up in the hospital with encephalitis. I had 106.4 fever. After a few weeks in the hospital with numerous tests the CDC came up with an unknown arbovirus caused by ticks or mosquitoes. To this day they still don't have a name for it.
I usually dress in long pants, gloves, long shirt and a long hat that covers my neck. All clothes and gear get sprayed with Sayer spray and pants get taped to my boots. That day I was not vigilant and paid for it, almost with my life. Don't find out the hard way..... Ticks are a real threat!!

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember my dads friend living in trout creek new york got Lyme disease about 27 years ago which was unheard of in the area ...one theory was when he was playing golf in northern new jersey ( where he grew up ) he must of got bitten .... that tick cost him his life .....good luck detecting and be safe

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dang 106.4 is .6 from brain damage! yeah ticks are no joke. My buddy has had 3 rounds of lymes from detecting on long island. Docs told hime he might not make it if he gets it again.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, glad you recovered. My cousin died of equine encephilitis transmitted by mosquitos back in the early 70s. Didn't know that ticks could cause it too, but I'm not surprised. They're like little demons. Another new one on me is Alpha Gal syndrome. A good friend of mine had a close call one night after going out for Mexican with his wife. Had beef tacos or something, then later that night woke up with his skin on fire and unable to get air. He took some Benedryl and something else and got a little relief enough to get through the night. He went to the doctor the next morning who scolded him after tests for not heading to the ER. Said he was lucky to be alive. It seems that the Lonestar tick can transfer a tiny (hell, it couldn't be much) amount of the Alpha Galactic sugar during a bite, which makes you permanently allergic to red meats, beef, goat, pork, deer, etc. My buddy says you'd be amazed at how soon you get sick of eating chicken and fish.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, glad you recovered. My cousin died of equine encephilitis transmitted by mosquitos back in the early 70s. Didn't know that ticks could cause it too, but I'm not surprised. They're like little demons. Another new one on me is Alpha Gal syndrome. A good friend of mine had a close call one night after going out for Mexican with his wife. Had beef tacos or something, then later that night woke up with his skin on fire and unable to get air. He took some Benedryl and something else and got a little relief enough to get through the night. He went to the doctor the next morning who scolded him after tests for not heading to the ER. Said he was lucky to be alive. It seems that the Lonestar tick can transfer a tiny (hell, it couldn't be much) amount of the Alpha Galactic sugar during a bite, which makes you permanently allergic to red meats, beef, goat, pork, deer, etc. My buddy says you'd be amazed at how soon you get sick of eating chicken and fish.

Maybe it is time that the Scientists and Doctors worked on some reverse engineering and come up with a spray that will make ticks allergic to humans, then maybe they will leave us alone.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you're in tick country, use the Permethrin on your clothing, and Picaridin on your skin. I've had RMSFA and don't want it again. Glad you puled through, CB!
Jim

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks Tpmetal now at least i know y am brain dead since a early age ....temp was 108 F doctor told me he never seen anyone live after what i went threw

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've lived in lyme disease country my whole life. I used to be under the assumption that being outside in the woods in the winter posed no threat from ticks. Last February I went into the woods and found a tick on me. I have done a little reading and was really surprised to find out that they are active all through the winter too. Multiple friends of mine have had lyme. My wife has a strict protocol for me after detecting. I come home take off all clothes and put them in a garbage bag, check self for ticks and then take a shower. If I try to skip a step... trouble awaits!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've lived in lyme disease country my whole life. I used to be under the assumption that being outside in the woods in the winter posed no threat from ticks. Last February I went into the woods and found a tick on me. I have done a little reading and was really surprised to find out that they are active all through the winter too. Multiple friends of mine have had lyme. My wife has a strict protocol for me after detecting. I come home take off all clothes and put them in a garbage bag, check self for ticks and then take a shower. If I try to skip a step... trouble awaits!

During the “polar vortex” a couple weeks ago the ground in woods in W PA froze to 4”. That’s very unusual for our area. I thought there would be no threat of ticks and did a scouting hike and found a tick on my pants, not even walking through brush. I’m not sure how they survive... I hate those things. I wish they doubled the bag limit on deer around here.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the lone star tick, the conventional medical wisdom is you can "lose" the allergy within 6-12 months, and go back to eating meat. I haven't seen one here yet, but I have only had three tick bites in 40 years, all 3 were dog ticks. I had the Lymerix innoculation when they were available, but I hate ticks.

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was bitten 4- 1/2 years ago and contracted lyme, not sure if from MDing or yard work or where. Most don't know they're bitten till days later. My lyme near did me in because it caused heart block and damaged my hearts electrical system. I have had many other complications that are endless but won't get into them. Everyone reacts differently and I am luckier than many because many have died from the complications the disease causes.

I can't stress enough for EVERYONE to protect themselves thoroughly when doing outdoor activities and keep your pets protected so they don't track them in the home. YOU DO WANT THIS DISEASE IN YOUR LIFE

I do need to add that with proper treatment most of my days now are good, thank God

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the lone star tick, the conventional medical wisdom is you can "lose" the allergy within 6-12 months, and go back to eating meat...

I've heard that too, but do you know of anybody that took the gamble? What do you do, take a hamburger to the ER waiting room, chow down and see what happens?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions