Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can pull your socks up over the bottoms of your pants and tuck your shirt in, ala Confederate Infantry style. Dog flea collars put on your body in variuos places to discourage them, ala Vietnam Infantry style. Nothing will totally stop them. Use the buddy system, and check each other every half hour, comb your hair to try and pull any out before they attach on your head. Protect your crotch area, underarms, and watch inside and behind your ears. Take a good bath/shower when you get home, and go ahead and wash all the clothes you were wearing.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
you can use all the deet you want, it won't do much good, that's designed to repel mosquitos.
the best thing I've found is good old fashioned Raid with permethrin. you spray it on your clothes from the waist down. since I've done that I haven't found one on me yet

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Thanks Sniffer, I will give that a try. Frank

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang sniff, deet has always worked for me. I guess those darn Kansas ticks are meaner and tougher? My grandkmother use to tie a rag around my ankles soaked with coal oil when we picked blackberries and that seemed to deter chiggers and I don't recall getting any ticks either. I remember once I went dove hunting wearing a pair of levis with the button fly. When I got home, guess where I found 4 ticks? I thought I had some kind of venereal disease until I stripped to take a shower. And you can bet I removed them VERY carefully! Monty

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
FLEAS, they were everywhere! I bombed the house. Washed the dog with flea shampoo. Washed the sheets and to my surprise, there were live fleas on the washed sheets. They survived the wash. Washed them again using soap, 1/4 cup bleach, and some flea shampoo. It worked. It took 7 flea bombs to do the house and I have to do it again in a week to kill the new hatched eggs before they mate. I think I would rather deal with the ticks ! That Raid flea spray appears to work also. On the east coast, a damp spring means fleas and a dry spring means ticks. Frank

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
Permathine works great, spray your cloths the night before and after you wear them put them in a plastic bag and it will be good for a second day :icon_thumleft:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had fleas bad here last summer. I sprayed the yard twice and that got rid of them. I also dipped my dog and sprayed all her bedding real well and after about 2 weeks they were nowhere to be found. I used a spray I bought at a farm store and it worked much better than any of those Hartz or flea collar or grocery store bought things. Monty

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
permethrin is the way to go. it doesnt repel ticks, it actually kills them. someone asked what the military uses to keep ticks off the troops. they use permethrin.

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
permethrin is the ticket I have seen a few here Alabama but mostly fleas dang they are killers around here as we have very mild winters everything lives all winter long nothing dies off they just slow down

stilllookin

Apr 3, 2010
Vermont
To try and prevent getting them is best, but I heard if you find one attached take a cotton swab saturated with dish detergent and cover the tick. In a minute or two the tick will back out and stick to the swab for disposal. I have no idea if this will work and make no claims, but will try it for before the summers over I will probably get at least one tick.

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Permethrin, permethrin, permethrin. If you want to go into tick infested woods or fields soak your clothes in it and let them dry.

If you want to be tick free stay out of their habitat.

I'm not going into the woods until first frost. Plenty of other places to hunt. Summer is when we all want to hunt, but the snakes, ticks and overgrowth make it less than the ideal season to hunt the woods and fields.

First frost the ground won't be frozen but the snakes and ticks will be down for the season.

Now, poison Ivy, that's another thing altogether. You can get that in the dead of winter from touching a barren ivy twig. What the hell do they look like?

cassrh

Greenie
Jan 8, 2010
I'm in the field every day - doing things other than detecting. I very seldom have ticks or cheegros, possibly because I wear large dog flea collars around the ankles of my boots, and dust my pants legs with 5% Seven dust. The Seven is kept in a sock for easy dusting. In my area the drought has held the bug population down.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May seem obvious, but I handle ticks and mosquitoes the same way.

I went to an outdoors shop and found an ultra lightweight pair of long pants that can unzip into shorts and I wear them, along with a lightweight long sleeve shirt.

It doesn't make me any hotter than I would otherwise be, and it provides less skin for those little monsters to latch on to!

triplehooked

Jul 21, 2010
Elmdale, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Currently back to a Vx3 withe D2 coil ti'l I can save for the V3i. Previous detectors include: Cz3d, CZ20, Vx3, Explorer SE Pro, XLT, MXTx2, Classic ID, Vaquero, Cibola, F2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Produce Guy said:
Crush up some B1 tablets in a bowel with a little bit of water and make a paste,and spread it around your ankles and anywhere else on your body.I've also have use a lint roller to get the small ones off and or a cottonball soaked in fingernail polish remover and put it right on them,they tend to release after a couple soakings. :icon_scratch:

I don't know how strong your bowel is but mine couldn't crush a B1 tablet!!! Besides, I'm NOT putting anything in my bowels and even if I did I wouldn't be making it into a paste and rubbing it on my body. Nope, not gonna happen...... :nono:

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some really bad diseases from ticks. I recieved the Limerick shot (spelling?), thinking I was now Superman against ticks I went hunting. Afterwards I pulled a tick off my chest, by the next day my entire body hurt to move, even breathing hurt- found out it's called Ericliosis(spelling? again, sorry) Anyway it effects all your joints then your Liver and untreated can kill children or elderly. It is more common for animals to get but the human strain is out there. I don't feel like Superman no more, lol.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Been on the farm my entire life . Have never used a chemical repellant specificly for ticks .
However , my wife and I spend a significant amount of time each evening checking each other for ticks .

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
truckinbutch said:
Been on the farm my entire life . Have never used a chemical repellant specificly for ticks .
However , my wife and I spend a significant amount of time each evening checking each other for ticks .
So Trucker... You use the Ole Checkin for Ticks Routine Aye..... :tongue3:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
poorhunter78 said:
truckinbutch said:
So Trucker... You use the Ole Checkin for Ticks Routine Aye..... :tongue3:
;D A proven winner .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread