Tide changes:

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Cornelius, So this spike was just made up because someone wanted a gold spike to take home with them? This was found on the 1733 fleet, obviously on its way to Spain!

Grubby, you did appologize, but it was always in a reply to someone else. I never took it as being directed at me. If you did, I thank you, and I appologize for being so intent on stopping this negativity! You have many more adventures under your belt and I am sure you will add lots to this forum.

Cornelius said:
You say that I know everything better . Well maybe that is so . You ever thought about that .
Regards Cornelius
Cornelius, Yes you have contributed alot over the last 2 years. So have alot of other people! Your statement above shows your ego, and maybe you have every right to feel that way. All I can say is that Knowledge with Humility will get you farther! No one is always right! :-\

Grubby, Cornelius, I can bury the hatchet as well! Lets put this behind us!

Cornelius, I will appologize as well to you, because we have had many good conversations and I am the type of person who doesn't dwell on these type of issues. I know we don't have to agree on everything, but I would at least like to carry on a civil conversation with you! My door is always open!

I will get off my high horse and quit preaching about the negativity, if y'all stop the "clique" comments, quit eluding to conspiracy with the moderators and keep the controversey to a minimum. We are all working towards the same goal, lets cooperate and make this productive. There is no reason for this to be happening if we think about our post and the way people will read them and reply intelligently!

I will leave the preachin' to Darren! I think we all need a good Sunday sermon!

Now, back to the subject:

According to Robert Marx: In Cadiz, in 1606, the officials notice two anchors that had been painted and it raised some suspicion. Come to find out, they were both solid Gold! Now thats what I call "Contraband"!

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after all the flaming Peg got from the flamers I decided to go take a look at his silver nails. At first sight of these black, crusty old nails I am thinking Peg is crazy and I ask him if these are silver why haven't you cleaned them up so you can see it? He says he took it to the jeweler and they told him it was silver. So I ask him if he wants me to clean one. He says sure and his wife gives me some baking soda and I go to work for a couple minutes and clean one up.
I have to tell you I don't care what the flamers say these are the real thing. Nobody would go to this much work to manufacture these and then age them to end up with something that is not for sale and even if it was would not be worth much. It is not like it has official stamps or markings, it's just a nail.
Here are some pictures, decide for yourself.

Attachments

• Silver Nails 004.jpg
    Silver Nails 004.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 369
  • Silver Nails 001.jpg
    Silver Nails 001.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 360
  • Silver Nails 003.jpg
    Silver Nails 003.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 366

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks for the pics, Scott! It's awesome to see a picture of Don. It's amazing the images we get in our head of someone. That's why his convention is going to be great - to see all the faces behind the names!

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Thanks Scott,
I enjoyed your visit and the conversation and the information about how to clean the silver with baking soda. I had no idea it was that simple.
I mentioned that I was willing to donate one of the nails to the FISHER MUESUEM-IF-?
I guess that this blows some of the FLAMES OUT ;D ;D ;D
PEG LEG

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uh-oh, more flames !!

SWR

Check your glasses, and if that doesn't work try waiting til Pegs show and looking at them in person and then you will see for yourself how ridiculous your statements are. I have seen them in person and there is no way they are machine made.

Seahunter

Dec 16, 2006
San Francisco
Hello Treasure Hunters,

I have been looking over some of the artifacts in the Mel Fisher Center Florida East Coast Shipwreck Project. From a feminine perspective, the lexemes "nails" and "silver" connotate different images in the mind. Here is a link to what the MFCFECSP report describes as a "Silver Nail File Like Object #49010":

http://www.imacdigest.com/2001rep/201.html

It is sometimes remarked, though not often, that women were sometimes aboard these doomed vessels. I suppose a lady always wants to look her best, even at sea, so several unusual and ornate personal objects related to female grooming have turned up from time to time.

The sea of course holds many secrets and guards them jealously. With patience and fortitude - and a little research, perhaps all these unusual objects will be explained.

Best Regards,
:-*
Ursula

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Hi Ursula,
I want to thank you for a information that you posted above. I have been trying for several months to get this information without success.
This shows everything I was looking for.
Thanks again.
Peg leg

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds, and nice pics. Have other people found similar nails? Since silver usually blackens, I wonder how often salvors have tossed or overlooked these?

- Carl

Skimmer

Nov 2, 2006
Capt Pegleg (Ha, I love that, its perfect)
I just wanted to tell you, I have a 2 ft. long piece
of a timber from the (presumably) Rosario 1715 wreck for you, with 4 iron square spikes embedded,for your "coffee table" display. You have my home #, so, when you get to Port Fierce one of these days, its yours. Give me an hours notice via telephone. I don't get up there much, especially in season, you know? WOW!@ its season finally!
Call me, maybe if you need to I can mail it. Mike
And....I'd rather you actually come down and do a day or two with us on the boat. Maybe you can (ahem) point us in the right direction. It could happen. Mike

ScottyLee

Jul 4, 2006
Key Largo FL
Did I miss the post where Peg Leg said he dowsed the silver nails? I all I read was that he had some silver nails. And by the way they are silver for I have seen and held them in my hands.

Skimmer

Nov 2, 2006
Wow Capt Peg-
I'm impressed, Silver is silver, nails or not. I don't know the whole story, but, congrats! Keep up the good work!!! Now....before you come down to direct my boat for a weekend, "Think Gold!!" See you this summer, right? Mike

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a gold spike on the beach at new smyrna the days after hurricane jeanne hit town.

heres a pic of it.

its a railroad spike!

wonder why its gold?

the railroad pounds them in at intersecting rails every 500 or more miles apart.when they connected the east and west coast railroads they put in a gold spike.im not sure if they still do this or not.but its not a solid gold spike an im sure the ones in the past wernt either.otherwise the pirates would get them.when i found this one my ears hurt thru my headphones,i knew it was a gold hit but didnt know what it was till i dug 3 feet down near the dunes.i had to take it to my truck to put a magnet on it to see if it was solid gold or not.its plated gold 24k real heavy,not that cheepo gold plate like on jewelry or watches.

Attachments

• goldspike.jpg
    goldspike.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 250
  • goldspike.jpg
    goldspike.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 247

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll take Peg at his word for what the nails are, and even how they were found. Believe it or not, even folks who dowse occasionally find things. Since dowsing is nothing but observation and intuition, I'll even go so far as to say that, for some people in certain circumstances, it is a useful approach.

Let's move on...

- Carl

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Let me make this very very clear.
What do you think would happen if the State of Florida knew where I had recovered the gold and silver?
They would come and take everything and I mean EVERYTHING.
There was NO laws back when I recovered the gold and silver but there are Laws now but how would I defend myself.
Why do you think I did not go there myself? The person that did go is under 18 years old with a smal detector that is over 20 years old but good enough.
Have a great day my friends and lets move on.
Thanks
Peg leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread