Tiger Shark Falsing

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy All, My tiger shark has started falsing in discriminate mode. Turn it on, ground balance, flip to discriminate and swing and she chirps on every swing, sometimes multiple times per swing. I checked for trash under coil cover, put in new batteries even though battery test pinged 4 times and even turned down the sensitivity 1/2 turn. Coil wire goes straight up the lower shaft and does not flop around. It did this a couple of months ago and cleared up on its own. It works OK in all metal fast but I get real tired of the hum all of the time. I can run it in all metal for a while and flip over to discriminate and sometimes it works fine for a little bit. It is being used in fresh water swimming holes in southern Virginia. There is a lot of natural iron in the soil and there will be up to a half inch of iron pieces stuck to the magnet in my scoop after each hunt. I have a very promising new place to hunt tomorrow so am hoping for a quick fix. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I LOVE MY TIGER SHARK!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
That's not a Tiger Shark, that's a vacuum cleaner! It's guaranteed that if I follow behind you with my Excal, there's only silence!

I was reading a thread yesterday where a member coated wiring and connections with silicone every couple of weeks. I think it was OBN who mentioned that.

Hope you get it figured out. I'm sure Terry will see this thread and may have some good input.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a spare coil to try and see if it repeats?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one that did that and it wound up being a bad coil. Cost me around $200 to replace

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be a coil leak. Call the factory in Prescott and see what they tell you. :skullflag:

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is under warranty and TESORO has the BEST Customer Service Ever. I just want to get to use it a couple more months before I send it in. Winter is coming and I want to spend every possible day in the water.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to send it to Tesoro for a test. Tiger's are the best an hardly ever need tuneups. Good Luck.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You All for your advice. I was waiting, especially to hear from Terry Soloman and Sandman. I have the coil in a large bag with desiccant to see what happens. Before I go out again, I will coat the coil wire with silicone grease at the coil and hope for the best. If it clears up, I will use it until it gets colder and then send to the GREAT Service Team at Tesoro. If it doesn't clear up, it goes back to Tesoro for a check up. Thanks Again, steve

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tiger Shark Lives! I took it out of the bag of desiccant and coated the wire and connection at the coil and took it out for a try. Only beeped when there was metal under the coil. No more falsing. I spent about a hour in a local swimming hole and got 16 bobbie pins, 2 nickels, 4 pennies and a nice sterling & CZs wedding set. IMG_3751_1.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions