Tiger Shark Tips?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't made up any lists, but can only tell you what I know. Well some of it cause you need to leave something for the rest of us.

Leave the Sens. pot alone! Many hunters adjust the sens upward and only end up making the detector unstable. The thing is already maxed out when you get it. Only need to change it a might when you change coils.

I liked the box under my elbow for balance, but everyone is different. If you hip mount it or carry it in a bag around your neck, run the cable straight along the shaft from the handle to coil and tape it along the side. When wading, make sure you bungie cord the shaft to yourself so when you let go of it you don't need to fish it up from the bottom.

Settings are easy. GB in All Metal-Fast like the manual says. You can switch it into Disc and hunt with a silent threshold. You only hear the threshold in all metal. Set disc so you can still hear a pull tab and you should be alright. Disc out pull tabs and you will miss most of the gold rings.

Anyone else want to add anything?

OP
OP
BigHog

BigHog

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2007
Stafford, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark/Garrett Ace 250
Sandman, thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the feedback.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
BigHog,

I hunt exclusively with the TS. Sandman had some great tips here are a few more: 1. Make sure you lightly glue the coil cover on. 2. I have a float make out of 5" or so of "Swim Noodle" tied to the handle end of my searchcoil shaft. Makes it float upright, and is brightly colored which makes for a fast retrieve after digging. 3. Hunt in disc. only, you do not have to switch modes to pinpoint. 4. Go to the link at the bottom of this page and see how I carry / mount my control box. Joe

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leave the Sens. pot alone! Many hunters adjust the sens upward and only end up making the detector unstable. The thing is already maxed out when you get it. Only need to change it a might when you change coils.
Sandman is dead right here. Follow this advice.

I liked the box under my elbow for balance, but everyone is different. If you hip mount it or carry it in a bag around your neck, run the cable straight along the shaft from the handle to coil and tape it along the side.
I have tried it every way and I prefer the box mounted under the rod, in front of the hand. The air trapped in the housing helps the detectors bouyancy, making it nearer to neutral. Under the arm, and it wants to push up to the surface at that end. Plus controls are behind you - fortunately you dont have many to mess with once you are hunting. Like Sandman says, it's subjective.

Settings are easy. GB in All Metal-Fast like the manual says. You can switch it into Disc and hunt with a silent threshold.
I increase the THRESH just a bit above the normal whiny hum, to give it a HyperTune kick. Not a lot, just a bit.

Set disc so you can still hear a pull tab and you should be alright. Disc out pull tabs and you will miss most of the gold rings.
I set my DISC at 2-3, so that small nails and bobby pins give a broken response. Targets are fewer in the water, with less trash, so you dig almost everything anyway. I found a nice bracelet last season that would have gone under the DISC if I was only accepting pulltabs.

1. Make sure you lightly glue the coil cover on.
I avoid this as I want to remove it from time to time to clean out fine sand. Either seal it completely or dont glue it on at all.

2. I have a float made out of 5" or so of "Swim Noodle" tied to the handle end of my searchcoil shaft. Makes it float upright, and is brightly colored which makes for a fast retrieve after digging.
I've done this too. I just let the detector go to float by the noodle.

I also use a float basket. This is not specific to the TS, of course, just a handy device. Mine is a 12" x 14" heavy metal wire basket with a swim noodle attached all around the top. It floats at the waters surface and I just dump my scoop into it. When it gets too full of rocks and mud, I just dump it out... of course, I pick out the goodies and let the trash stay in. I trail it behind, tied in the small of my back on my belt by a lanyard about 4 foot long. It is also a great place to carry all your stuff from the car to the water.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
the TS is a fine fresh water detector,iv had 3 of them.i hip mount mine that takes a lot of weight off.and on ALL my detectors i use a 6" to 10" piece of water pipe insulation foam ($2 for 6' at Lowes) cut to fit between the grip handle and the arm cuff,this will float the top of the shaft and the coil tips down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread