Tiger Shark will finally get tested

Aurora64blue

Sep 25, 2009
South Eastern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tiger Shark, Fisher F70, Vibra Probe 580
Well I'm finally gonna have a chance to do an actual salt water beach hunt. I'm gonna be in Florida for the March Break and we're going to stop for a couple of days at Cocoa Beach for some beach fun.

I've been itching to try out the Tiger Shark in salt water to see if it will be stable enough, the boys will be using the Fisher F70 on the dry and the wet.

Both of my older boys, 9 & 11 say that they want to go out with me and see what they can find. Really looking forward for it. It would be nice to see the boys pull up a few coins or a super nice surprise, however, just getting out there with them will be the best reward.

I'm hoping to bring the camera along and I'll post a few pics after we return. It's a long drive from Toronto to Orlando, and back again but the cost saving for a family of 5 is huge.

Cheers Folks,

Ralph

Upvote 0
Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You will have to turn the sensitivity down a little lower than what you use for fresh water.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
i wish you good luck in the hunt, A64B

Will be waiting to see some pics when you return.

Lorraine

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish you and your boys luck. I will be tin FL the last week of March. I am planning on hitting a few beaches myself......Matt

OP
OP
Aurora64blue

Aurora64blue

Sep 25, 2009
South Eastern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tiger Shark, Fisher F70, Vibra Probe 580
Hi Folks:

Well, we left Toronto (driving) on the Saturday (5 pm.) instead of Sunday morning due to reports of possible Black Ice developing South of Toronto for early Sunday morning. We travel down 90, 79, 19, 77 through the Blue Ridge Fancy Gap.

We left in a pouring rain and managed to make it down to Pittsburgh by 11 pm. The next night we woke up to 4 inches of fresh snow and had a tough drive all the way to south Carolina that day. We ran into some extremely bad weather with a 2 hour white knuckle stretch in the evening (South of Morgantown WA., where all I could do was keep a trailer 100 feet ahead of me to know where the road might be. It was brutal, I couldn't see a damn thing. Now remember, I live in Canada and drive in this shi$ all the time, so believe me when I say that this was a bad drive, my wife would not share the drive that night. By the evening I was truly exhausted.

The worst stretch was in Virginia coming out of the Jefferson National Forest. We actually hit an incredibly icy stretch where we saw a really horrific accident where multiple cars were involved, piled into the mountain side, you really couldn't tell what the vehicles were (really sad). By North Carolina the weather started to warm up and the snow started to disappear. It took us a bit longer to get there this time but we made it there in one piece thankfully.

So we finally made it to Cocoa Beach and managed a 2 hour hunt with my oldest son at 5 am the following morning. I found the Tiger Shark was very stable on the sand right down to the water, but once I entered the water (pretty cold), it would false repeatedly, and became unstable, so I just decided to do my hunting on the wet and dry sand. The final tally for the morning was only 7 cents & 3 Pull Tabs, but the sunrise was beautiful.

I geuss that one reason for the lack of tagrets was the fact that the busier section was farther down the beach, that's okay though as this was more of a trial run to actually see how the TS would work in the Salt conditions.

So overall, it was a good trip. The kids had a blast once again doing the theme parks and I got a bit of some well needed R & R. The drive home was also much more relaxing as the weather cooperated, (only took 2 days instead of 2 1/2).

Funy thing, I got home and decided to do a short hunt on a local soccer field, 20 minutes in and I pick up a small 1.4 gram 10 K Gold Ring. Sometimes it's best to stick with what you do best.

Til next year Cocoa Beach! Cheers Folk!

Ralph

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Ralph,
Your story remind me of the 49'ers travels to the gold rush in Calif. It looks like the gold rush here in FL is much the same for seasonal travelers.

Glad the kids enjoyed the visit and the trip home was more pleasant.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread