Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one beautiful coin Mr Senior!

How did you ever get all that green off it without ruining it?
If you have some magic coin cleaning elixir I would be willing to buy it.

I've tried the hot peroxide treatment several times on very green wheat pennies with only marginal success.

Anyways congratz on the great finds!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I am your humble student, Master!

But I propose you hold on to it. Let's make it fun. Newbie confustication hunt rules.

We've got some new members and we give them one holiday weekend to win it.

Open to you noobs and mentors on the Illinois forum.

Those new members who have just shown up this year on the board and in the field. Find(s) to be judged at end of hunting Monday. Noobs should be accompanied in their hunt(s) by any of us who have been around for bit.

Win will be by popular vote on any individual or combination of the following criteria:
Volume
Value
Rarity

So it could be a ring, a coin, a relic, or a cache or a nice tea spoon that wins. Let's get everyone out there and see what pops up! That awesome half-cent should be enough of a motivator for any of you newbies!

It also gives you seasoned or somewhat seasoned hunters a chance to hone your mentor skills or get bewildered by your seeming inability to do so. Could get quite confusticating!

How about it? You up for the Labor Day Confustication Hunt?

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one...just goes to show you that THEY ARE OUT THERE...you just have to find them....and at only 3". :o

I don't know what he does to clean 'em, but he's been doing it for over 25 yrs and I still don't know the secret. I have to give pops the coin and wait two days until I get it back......Well worth the wait though. :notworthy:

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got my banner vote.....Coins like that don't come up here too often.

:icon_scratch: Actually, I don't think I've seen one posted in the Illinois section before. :dontknow:

metman

Jul 28, 2010
Metamora, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Noobs should be accompanied in their hunt(s) by any of us who have been around for bit.
Now which one of you "oldies" are going to accompany me downstate?

Maybe I'll have to send my son up there! I think is coming up this weekend sometime.

Thanks for the idea . . . it does excite the newbie in me :laughing7:

OP
OP
M

MR Senior L4S

Lowbatts said:
I am your humble student, Master!

But I propose you hold on to it. Let's make it fun. Newbie confustication hunt rules.

We've got some new members and we give them one holiday weekend to win it.

Open to you noobs and mentors on the Illinois forum.

Those new members who have just shown up this year on the board and in the field. Find(s) to be judged at end of hunting Monday. Noobs should be accompanied in their hunt(s) by any of us who have been around for bit.

Win will be by popular vote on any individual or combination of the following criteria:
Volume
Value
Rarity

So it could be a ring, a coin, a relic, or a cache or a nice tea spoon that wins. Let's get everyone out there and see what pops up! That awesome half-cent should be enough of a motivator for any of you newbies!

It also gives you seasoned or somewhat seasoned hunters a chance to hone your mentor skills or get bewildered by your seeming inability to do so. Could get quite confusticating!

How about it? You up for the Labor Day Confustication Hunt?
/////////////// Good idea ---- Washington P ? early 5-9 am ??????? Any other propo welcome .------ SD is Yours , will ad 1809 1/2 c

OP
OP
M

MR Senior L4S

Mayo South Elgin said:
That is one beautiful coin Mr Senior!

How did you ever get all that green off it without ruining it?
If you have some magic coin cleaning elixir I would be willing to buy it.

I've tried the hot peroxide treatment several times on very green wheat pennies with only marginal success.

Anyways congratz on the great finds!
///////////////////try out those metods first on wheaties ----------- ( do not use anty oxydant , they destroy surface ) , use vinegar to dipping with control ( some coins like better lemon ) , then mix sulfur oxide with tehnical vaseline 10-20% SUO2 only . use hot do not boil , then wipe out with ol/oil , You close to Tim , so ask Him for more details ( He knows those metods ) Time and way to do , has to be study -- thats why start from wheaties . ////////

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SR that is a beauty!!!!!

High fives to ya on that sweet coin.......

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Yep, I'm with Jon, let's send this one to the banner! I only know of a couple older coins ever found up this way and one of them was the 1807 LC I found in Elgin. Could only wish it was in that good of a condition.

I think we could have a newbie contest hunt throughout the areas, let the noobs seek and get ideas from some of you experienced folk and turn them loose on a site! C'mon, it seems like a fun thing for a holiday weekend. Beaches, parks, playgrounds, it's all in the hunt.

I suggest it because we have noobs here with varying levels of experience and gear. Take a "noob" liek Paul for instance with his ACE, he's had some scary good finds for a beginner, I know, I've seen a couple of them pop out!

And if any of you seasoned guys are too good to throw in a little mentoring, then go join of those exclusive local clubs and go underground like most of them lurking trolls do.

OP
OP
M

MR Senior L4S

Lowbatts said:
Yep, I'm with Jon, let's send this one to the banner! I only know of a couple older coins ever found up this way and one of them was the 1807 LC I found in Elgin. Could only wish it was in that good of a condition.

I think we could have a newbie contest hunt throughout the areas, let the noobs seek and get ideas from some of you experienced folk and turn them loose on a site! C'mon, it seems like a fun thing for a holiday weekend. Beaches, parks, playgrounds, it's all in the hunt.

I suggest it because we have noobs here with varying levels of experience and gear. Take a "noob" liek Paul for instance with his ACE, he's had some scary good finds for a beginner, I know, I've seen a couple of them pop out!

And if any of you seasoned guys are too good to throw in a little mentoring, then go join of those exclusive local clubs and go underground like most of them lurking trolls do.
///////////// What place You sugesting for Monday ? ( and time ) ? ---------- Chicago north or s/s ? or close to Your area ? enybody sugestions?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
My idea for a bit of a competitive hunt would be it could be done locally or area-wide, up to individual hunters. Say I have a noob or two with me and we hit some spots around here, someone else has a noob or two and they hit anywhere they please. Beach, FP, park, etc...

Then post and compare finds on Monday. Winner takes prize after that. If no one else cares to play along, then I take SD and buy a Coke at Burger King with it next time we get together and hunt.

Nick T

Aug 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
I use a Teknetics Omega 8000 w/11DD and 10con , a Fisher CZ-70 pro , teknetics pinpointer.
Oh man!!! Me and the wifey are hunting the treasure coast in Florida this weekend! I'll post anyway if I find anything!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Nick T said:
Oh man!!! Me and the wifey are hunting the treasure coast in Florida this weekend! I'll post anyway if I find anything!

All right! Nick and Patty are on Team Lowbatts!

OP
OP
M

MR Senior L4S

Lowbatts said:
My idea for a bit of a competitive hunt would be it could be done locally or area-wide, up to individual hunters. Say I have a noob or two with me and we hit some spots around here, someone else has a noob or two and they hit anywhere they please. Beach, FP, park, etc...

Then post and compare finds on Monday. Winner takes prize after that. If no one else cares to play along, then I take SD and buy a Coke at Burger King with it next time we get together and hunt.
//////////////// This will be the best solving subject . If You can , post something, they can olso individ. hunting , and let them posted finding and let them decide .////////////

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread