Time frame on rounded bricks

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know of a time frame they started making rounded corners on bricks ? Me and a friend were hunting a cellar hole i found that had two chimneys one each on Opposite corners .Also the chimneys had flue's
Brick1.jpg
in them. we did not find much. I found a broken up toy piston and my buddy found a 1897 Indian head penny and a 1944 wheat penny

Attachments

• Brick1.jpg
    Brick1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are not particularly old. Maybe 50'-60's. They have a glazed face & were factory made using fairly modern technology. You can still get bricks in any configuration. We get bricks that are used in round columns that are slightly curved, depending on the radius of the column. That is a fired clay flue liner in that is fairly modern. Could be older but not much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are not particularly old. Maybe 50'-60's. They have a glazed face & were factory made using fairly modern technology. You can still get bricks in any configuration. We get bricks that are used in round columns that are slightly curved, depending on the radius of the column. That us a fired clay flue liner in that is fairly modern. Could be older but not much.
Newman I thank you for your input :) I also noticed the glazing on the bricks and the flue liners. That house did show up on my 1900's Gaia gps map. But the bricks and flue liner were confusing. I was sure the bricks and flue liner were not from the 1800's maybe they just updated the heating systems ? BUT Thanks for your reply :)

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Newman I thank you for your input :) I also noticed the glazing on the bricks and the flue liners. That house did show up on my 1900's Gaia gps map. But the bricks and flue liner were confusing. I was sure the bricks and flue liner were not from the 1800's maybe they just updated the heating systems ? BUT Thanks for your reply :)
Yes, most likely a more modern remodel. 1800's brick would be wood mold, hand made, & solid. I've installed dozens of fireplaces & chimneys in existing houses. Not really a difficult thing.

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone know of a time frame they started making rounded corners on bricks ? Me and a friend were hunting a cellar hole i found that had two chimneys one each on Opposite corners .Also the chimneys had flue's View attachment 2084030 in them. we did not find much. I found a broken up toy piston and my buddy found a 1897 Indian head penny and a 1944 wheat penny
Another quick way to tell what year it was built. It was common practice for a Mason/brick layer was to add a coin the year a structure was built, to the cap of the chimney, usually was laid under very top layer of brick on chimney. So you could scan chimney with your metal detector, & if you get a coin hit, you could gently disassemble top layer of brick to retrieve coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread