Time out with the new Vaquero!

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey All,

The weather here is still yucky, but it was warn enough to melt some snow so I was able to take the Vaquero for a spin. The area I chose was a basketball / tennis court I have hunted in the past with my Prizm III and have had some good luck, but found it to be quite trashy which made it difficult for me to disc. out the bad stuff. This was one of the reasons I picked up the Vaquero and also got the 5.75in conc.

It was the maiden voyage for the new Vaq, so I figured, what a better way to start out than with the 5.75. I fired up the detector, listened for the battery signal then turned up the Sens. and the threshold to about the 4-5 oclock position and went to all metal. I then started to pump the detector and turn the ground balance to the positive position. I found it a little difficult to balance, but I chalked it up to the smaller coil (after reading my manual again, I realized I should have had the sens. off). after getting it adjusted I started swinging and immediately I got a hit. I kept sweeping the coil as I turned up the disc. until I got almost all the way to max, that was when it toned out. I turned it back, pinpointed and then dug. I was rewarded with a memorial. I put it in my bag and continued to swing. I liked the lightness of the smaller coil, it was almost as if there wasn't much there. I started to get some chatter, so I turned the disc, up just past the first line above Iron and that seemed to help. I got to the corner of the basketball court when the detector started going crazy. I swung the coil in a smaller spot and was able to isolate a target. The one thing I noticed (the Tejon did the same thing) when it has a good target, the Vaquero doesn't beep, it cracks! It was obvious right away that you have a good hit, or at least a solid one. Anyway, I again pinpointed the one target and pulled another memorial. I filled the hole and swung the coil around the hole jsut to make sure I got everything and right next to the hole I just dug was another solid hit. So I dug about 3" and was rewarded with another memorial. I filled that hole and again swung my coil to check the hole and right next to that one was another solid hit. needless to say, I pulled about 9 memorials in about a square foot area. I couldn't believe the accuracy of the 5.75in. on the Vaquero, it can definately find the coins in the trash, and yes, I did dig a lot of trash, but I was completely impressed with the Vaq's ability to find those coins and the 5.75in conc. ability to snipe right in there. When I covered this area with my Prizm III, my it would go crazy trying to break up the signals. Using the Vaquero with the 5.75 it was like tuning a radio from white noise to a music station, the coins were there, where before, I hadn't been able to hear them.

Well after being out for about 2 hours in 28-30 degree weather and digging in snow and dirt (which I was covered in when I finished) my hands hurt and my face was frozen, I called it quits for the night. It was only 2 hours, but I'm convinced that the Vaquero can hunt and it hunts well with the 5.75 in trashy areas. I can't wait to until the weather is better so that I can spend much more time in that area, I know there has to be some good stuff there, they just put a skate park in about a year ago.

thanks for the read, and HH!

Pulltab Parson :hello2:

kjb1769

Greenie
Jan 26, 2013
Tried my Vaquero in the backyard yesterday. 1 GM key, 1 dime, 7 memorial Lincoln cents, 1 Nickel 1949 D, 1 1937 M 5 Centavos, $100 Peso 1988 really thought I had found something a large coin that was heavy but basically worthless except for the thrill of finding it. Thought I had found a big silver coin.

Attachments

• image-8847490.jpg
    image-8847490.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 94

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations to both of you! Gold is coming! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread