Time Spent Mding

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
I am curious as to how many hours a week do ya'll md. I spend as much time as I can but it only amounts to a handful of hours a week. I am usually working. :-[
The reason I ask is that some people on here claim to have found thousands of coins for the year. Seems like you would almost have to md every day all day long and eventually run out of spots to go.

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder about that too
acedigger said:
I am curious as to how many hours a week do ya'll md. I spend as much time as I can but it only amounts to a handful of hours a week. I am usually working. :-[
The reason I ask is that some people on here claim to have found thousands of coins for the year. Seems like you would almost have to md every day all day long and eventually run out of spots to go.

I wonder how much time you have to spend to dig 100 + coins a day like some members do. I wish that I had more time to devote to the hobby, but most weeks, I'm lucky if I can get out for an hour one or two evenings. If I set my alarm on Saturday and Sunday mornings, I can usually get out for about 3 hours, which feels like freedom to me.

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
i do about 10 hours a week now. most of my hunting is within a 10 minute ride from home.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I try to get out as often as I can, but like many, job and family takes up a lot of time.

Normally I get out in the AM on weekends anywhere from 2 to 4 hours in the summer time.

In the cooler months I stay out longer.

Will also sqeeze in some afternoon time ( on the way home from work) if the weather is cool. The summers here in FLA can be tough. Very hot and humid.

Happy Hunting

Ray S

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This summer, I've managed to squeeze in an average of about 3 to 4 hours of actual "hunting time" each week. Unfortunately, I don't live in an area that is "MD-friendly" (village regulations etc.) so I have to more carefully plan my outings. If I had "carte blanche" access to any area that I wished, I'd probably double the amount of hunting time.

watercolor

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I try to squeeze in between 30-40 hours a week depending on the weather and tides ;) ;) ;)

OP
OP
acedigger

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
erikk said:
I try to squeeze in between 30-40 hours a week depending on the weather and tides ;) ;) ;)

:o :oWow thats a lot of time, by spending this much time I could see where one could find tons of stuff

EBCIII

Jul 24, 2007
For me it really depends. My wife works retail, I have a 8-5 job. If she is gonna be at work in the evening I hunt. I also try to hunt in the early AM on weekends. I will say right now around 10-20 hours a week, Beale.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
acedigger said:

I have found thousands of coins this year...I increased my hunts from 3 times to 4 times a week...while on vacation 5 times...so usually between 10-15 hours a week since january...did not hunt a day in February...but more then made up for it since...But time is not the leading factor it is good locations...and population... ;)

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Usually only get out on the weekends...they are starting to take off crops around me so i may be up to 4 or 5 hours both days on the weekend...

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
varies by season, fall + winter its 8-10 hours on saturday and 4-6 hours on sunday. spring we detect fridy evenings also, this gives us a couple of more hours to detect. Of course it helps tremendously if your wife detects with you. Other thing is make the most of your time that you get to metal detect. This is where the research part of the hobby comes in to play. It doesnt matter weather you are hunting for civil war relics, looking at old house sites, or like us detecting at the park or school yard. like everything else you have to do your homework and practice. Get out there and swing that coil
hh
dave+bobbie

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I hunt two full days every two weeks and about six total hours during the week. Say two trips for 3 hours each. THat is as much as I can put in with work, daughter, etc. I've probably got somewhat over 1000 coins in clad, I have to recount. How long to find 100 coins? You can find 100 coins in 3 hours in the right place. On my last major clad hunt, I counted about 83 coins in about 2 1/2 hours. Almost hit a brick wall until I positioned myself in a productive spot. After about 10 hours if I recall, I had 250 total. 249 clad, 1 silver. I think on the right day and place, anyone of us could do more. I'm still down to try this again.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I get out on the weekends. No time during the week. The J-word that is my main problem.....JOB. If I could get rid of that problem I would have plenty of time to detect. Not food or shelter but plenty of time to hunt.

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
well over 30+ on a good week ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread