tinkle cone

canoeguy45887

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found metal detecting field by river, was Identified as a "tinkle cone" worn by native americans on their clothes in the "what is it" thread, this river runs through the middle of an old indian village,

t.jpg u.jpg

Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
tumblr_mkq570xpnr1s77baxo1_500.jpg

"Hattie Tom
Studio portrait of delegate Hattie Tom, a Chiricahua Apache girl, wearing a beaded hide dress with metal cone tinklers, beaded necklaces and earrings. Photographed at the U.S. Indian Congress of the Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition in Omaha, 1898." Frank Rinehart

_6975811204.jpg

OP
OP
C

canoeguy45887

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the pictures, the last native americans in this area were removed in 1832, thanks again

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello canoeguy, what 'area' might you be referring to- just curious? Do you paddle? and I don't mean the better half :laughing7: just a little canoe humor. HH yelnif

thanks for the pictures, the last native americans in this area were removed in 1832, thanks again

OP
OP
C

canoeguy45887

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello yelnif, the area i am referring to is in nw ohio specifically , Auglaize county, been paddling for nearly 35 years, the canoe in your profile pic looks to be and old town, maybe a discovery ??

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been wanting to open this thread all day to see what a tinkle cone was.Great picture Surf.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Ga rebel said it could be a tinkle cone or a point, they did wrap copper around shafts for points. It's a cool artifact:icon_thumleft:

kansa54

Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500 Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Silver Sabre micro max
Makro Racer 2 Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Canoe guy, I would hit that area hard with my metal detector. Dig all signals including iron, you might be surprised. I would also detect in the area where you found the gun flints. Congratulations on your find.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canoe guy, I would hit that area hard with my metal detector. Dig all signals including iron, you might be surprised. I would also detect in the area where you found the gun flints. Congratulations on your find.

I second that!

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
If you are detecting off a creek or river make sure you detect a greater distance back from the waters edge. In the U.P. of Michigan they detect the swampy area before the waters edge. A few hundred years ago it was all water and the waters edge would be farther away from where it is at now. I spoke with a guy who has over two hundred copper artifacts found in the swamps heading towards the waters edge.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
that is an old type copper 'bangle' for a dress used in the jingle dress dance
we find a few of these every year at the site we surface hunt
Tnmountains helped me get a MD that helps me find these old bangles

here is the modern day version and the modern bangles are made from lids for snuff cans
this dance is at sisseton sioux-oyate nation in sisseton, SD (oyate (o-yah-tay) means 'the people')
my wife is a registered member of this nation

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread