Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone! At the end of the day today I visited "the farm" I've referenced in other threads, and found something new: a tiny button that appears to be a two-piece that has some embossing on the front. Under the dirt on the front I see glints of gold with my eye through a magnifying glass.

Can any of you button experts share some information on this type of button please? This is the first time I've ever found one like this.

I also found another "normal" 19th century button and that awesome 1860 Indian Head Cent.

Thanks for looking!

Brian

swXJZiX.jpg

(sorry for any distortion - I took this through a magnifying glass)
8VBcrew.jpg nABFCFZ.jpg

Upvote 8

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the nice finds, especially that fatty IH penny - that sure is an oldie.. Hope someone can help with the button.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a few of this kind of button. It is a civilian pattern, and the general time frame 1840-1870. All the ones I have found were in Civil War camps, and those would have been used as cuff buttons. Nice find, we don't get many of them.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a few of this kind of button. It is a civilian pattern, and the general time frame 1840-1870. All the ones I have found were in Civil War camps, and those would have been used as cuff buttons. Nice find, we don't get many of them.
agreed civvy circa 1850s

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Given the size of it, I believe it is a waistcoat button. They usually measure about 13mm in diameter.

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most likely a cuff button, perhaps from a ladies dress due to the ornate design, definitely mid to later 1800's. Great Finds

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
The standard size for cuff buttons was 5/8 (15 mm)

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you everyone for the information! The farm owner will love this (his daughter loves these buttons), and I'll do some more reading on waistcoat and cuff buttons from the mid-19th century.
And I'll keep hunting the farm - it keeps producing!
(but this part of the field is a pumpkin patch, and the pumpkin vines have taken over. I put the 6" coil on my Equinox to make it easier to detect in amongst the vines.)
Brian

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, keep looking. Its amazing what we all miss on a site the first few times on it.

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, keep looking. Its amazing what we all miss on a site the first few times on it.

Exactly Smokey. Those buttons and the 1860 IHP were found in the same areas (30x30' square area) that I've found my other coins/buttons this summer. But I used the 6" coil (instead of the standard 11") and used a different mode (I was actually using Park 1 earlier in the year; now I'm trying Field 2).

What I'm really looking forward to is when this farmer turns over the field again with his plow. I suspect this will turn up a whole new "crop" of targets!
Since this gentleman and his extended family love what I'm finding, I suspect he'll bring the plow out as soon as the pumpkin season is over, to give me one more shot at finding things before winter sets in. (Around here I can probably detect into November, but December is usually when the snow/freeze makes it difficult/impossible.)

- Brian

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly Smokey. Those buttons and the 1860 IHP were found in the same areas (30x30' square area) that I've found my other coins/buttons this summer. But I used the 6" coil (instead of the standard 11") and used a different mode (I was actually using Park 1 earlier in the year; now I'm trying Field 2).

What I'm really looking forward to is when this farmer turns over the field again with his plow. I suspect this will turn up a whole new "crop" of targets!
Since this gentleman and his extended family love what I'm finding, I suspect he'll bring the plow out as soon as the pumpkin season is over, to give me one more shot at finding things before winter sets in. (Around here I can probably detect into November, but December is usually when the snow/freeze makes it difficult/impossible.)

- Brian
Yes we all like the plough. Without I would have next to nothing.
The fields I do best on have been ploughed fields for 2000 years.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice relics and cool IH cent! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread