TINY quartz "bird" point

Malus

Greenie
Jul 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the same spot where I found the tip of a point last weekend and found this little guy. It was just poking out of the sand and I picked it up and put it in my back pocket thinking it was just a flake. Drove all the way home and pulled it out just to see what it was and realized it was actually a broken point. I can't believe how small it is.

I've been trying to figure out what it might be categorized as. It is broken, but I've edited together what it might have looked like before it broke. It would have been about 24mm long by 20mm wide and 5mm thick. It has random flaking and I would call it a serrated edge (I think the break happened at one of the serrations), but the flaking is extremely fine and I haven't come across a picture of such small fine corner notches. The base is not ground, but it is very thin. It's wishful thinking, but from my searching it's characteristics seem to match a Palmer or Small Kirk corner notch best. Although being in Southern New Brunswick I think I am outside of it's range. Maybe a Jack's Reef? Sorry if the pictures are huge or weird. I can never tell if they're just bad on my end or if they are huge for everyone else. Just tell me and I'll edit the post. I'll include the Imgur links where they look better.

I'd love to hear what you folks think!

https://i.imgur.com/w78JGgr.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BeK6U7p.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/6Ad3rCc.jpg

w78JGgr.jpg

BeK6U7p.jpg

6Ad3rCc.jpg

Upvote 0

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello friend. From the first time I saw it, I thought it should be oriented with the widest part of the fragment being the base and not the cutting edge. I've rotated the pic so the base is at the bottom but you have to click on the pic to see my changes (I don't know why). It's missing the whole middle and top IMO. All that's left is the base and a barb on one side. Still, it does look like a corner notched Palmer or Kirk!

Attachments

• w78JGgr.jpg
    w78JGgr.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 61
  • BeK6U7p.jpg
    BeK6U7p.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Malus

Greenie
Jul 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I think you're absolutely right. I've had this weird feeling that something just wasn't quite right about my interpretation and it was because I couldn't find a picture anywhere where the base was as small as how I perceived this whole point would have been. I'm going to take your "still looks like a Palmer or kirk" straight to the bank!:icon_thumright: It is amazing to think you might be the first person to touch this point since someone made it 8500+ years ago. Thanks for your input Tdog!

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was my thought also and would be reasonable with an impact fracture to happen in that part of the point rather than split down the middle from the point..just my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread