Tiny un-opened cache and...

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
... a few rings.

I haven't opened the coins with the tape around them yet. Anyone care to guess what they might be? ;)
tinycash.jpg
What's up with the "taping coins together" anyway? I'll open them in a few hours....

Ridley

Upvote 0

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Dang Ridley!! You had a good day buddy! 3 rings too That's a very nice haul....I'm guessing nickels in the tape.

Little kids like to tape things together and wrap things up. I found not one, but two fast food kid's meal toys wrapped in aluminum foil in a tot lot. They were "buried treasure". I laughed when I opened them up.

HH,
Moon

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could be bust coins ! .........thus the tape ! Or if its duct tape could be "spy coins" lost by Bergies 2 little old ladys ! :D ;D

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Nice finds...nice silver.The taped coins look like something I used on my crappy record player when I was a kid....counterweight for the stylus....joe

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Nice finds, all of them.

I remember that back in the old days they would tape a half dollar to a baby’s navel to cause an outee to turn into an innee.

But as for small coins I think it’s to keep kids from loosing them. I recently found a coin wrapped up in a Band Aid. But one coin wrapped up has nothing to do with trying not to loose it. It turned out be a Memorial Cent, here’s a picture of it.

I guess it will be Memorial Cents, and a Nickel or two.

Attachments

• Coin inside bandaid.JPG
    Coin inside bandaid.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 871

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They just might be some of the smaller sized gold coins. ;D ;D ;D

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Ridley said:
... a few rings.
I haven't opened the coins with the tape around them yet. Anyone care to guess what they might be? ;)
What's up with the "taping coins together" anyway? I'll open them in a few hours....
Ridley
Looks too big to be dimes yet too small to be nickels. Bet it's pennys, and probably new ones too...judging from the tape anyway.

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.
Ridley,I bet you were detecting a football field with a race track around it! Because I see a bunch of blank shells that were used to start track and field events. And I see the finger piece from a horn valve,like a trumpet or such. I've found the same things at a field near here. And in high school I marched in half-time shows playing my trumpet with the band on that field in 1968-1970. Well,last year when I detected the field here,I found eight of those valve tops. I know they screw on,but eight of them? And I found a ring,but only one. I see you have three there! Good going!

Daisy

Apr 16, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Great finds Ridley!

Haha! As kids, my brother and I used to tape coins together to use as weights for different "experiments".
Taped to the back end of a remote controlled racer, it would cause them to "pop a wheely". LOL Silly kid stuff.
(We also taped black cat firecrackers the the racers, light them and watched them bounce.) Ah man! Those were the days! :D

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
When I was a youngin I went to a small town catholic school. Nuns for teachers. Two grades per room/teacher. We brown bagged our lunches and the school sold milk. My parents and others would sometimes wrap 5 pennies in foil so we wouldn't loose them. I suppose tape could have been used for the same purpose. The interesting part is that while searching that long closed school I once found 5 pennies wrapped in foil! Heck they could have been mine!

Mark S.

OP
OP
Ridley

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Okay.... ;)

Here's the big reveal!

I opened the cache and.....

zincache.jpg

I don't think this cache has the longevity that the famous "Indian Head Coin Purse" had. Oh well. :D

Ridley

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Wow Rid...Nice day of diggin'. I only wish I could get out. At least 3 feet of snow for 7 weeks straight here! Makes me envious. Anyways, got sucked in by your taped coin guessing game. I'll say a dime on top of a penny on top of a nickel! Nice haul.~CO2

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Oooops, didn't get in under the wire. Don't you know it's not polite to make someone you haven't even met look like a fool! ;D What was it wrapped in? Looks metallic. Like someone was doing an experiment in electrolysis. They sure figured out how to melt those pennies quick didn't they? Maybe it was a detectorist that was doing a study in blended signal effects on VDI! ;)

OP
OP
Ridley

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Colorado2 said:
Oooops, didn't get in under the wire. Don't you know it's not polite to make someone you haven't even met look like a fool! ;D What was it wrapped in? Looks metallic. Like someone was doing an experiment in electrolysis. They sure figured out how to melt those pennies quick didn't they? Maybe it was a detectorist that was doing a study in blended signal effects on VDI! ;)
Yes.
Looks like we cross posted.
I was thinking of you folks that are snowed in when I found the cache. I figured it might be an interesting game and take your mind off the cabin fever a little.

During the summer in NC sometimes it's too hot to detect. Even at night. Never mind the bugs.

I don't even wonder how things get where they get anymore. I just find 'em and put 'em in my pocket. ;)

Ridley

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread