Tioga 1880s Depot&Gen.Store Finds

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
Tioga 1880s Depot&Gen.Store Finds

We arrived at the Tioga train depot & general store/post office (pictures below). We were greeted by the lady who owned these historic buildings. The Tioga depot was built and used from c.a. 1880 to 1907. Tioga is now a ghost town. The lady gave us a tour, I was able to get some good footage of the insides of the buildings on my video cam. This lady was so nice she even said we could rummage around inside these places. I didnt feel very comfotable doing so though. Anyways, we scanned the area and came to the conclusion that good finds may be far and few between since there is now a highway in front of the store where some old gas pumps once were,and where horses, wagons and cars used to park. You could tell most of the ground in the area of the store and depot had been worked over, dirt removed and so forth. She had alot of flower beds, with lots of extra dirt in them from the site, wich we reluctantly didnt detect. We started out in front of the old store, the ground all around was "extremly" wet. Some places you would dig and the hole would instantly fill with water, so the odds were against us already. Along with tons of cans and scrap metal I found 1 of my trade mark coins...yes the wheatie! Chester found about the same, with a digital watch. We made our way over to the depot, while detecting. there were "alot" of beer cans around the depot some about 4 to 6 inches down scattered everywhere. Another indication that there had been some "major" ground construction in the area. Chester moved onto the old rail grade that came out of the woods and to the depot. He came out with a barber- pictured below. I came up with a spoon( also in below pic) and we also came up with some "big" hunks of iron(not pictured) Although we did not find much at all, it was still fun. The feeling of walking through those places, feeling the history , and the excitment of thinking we may find some cool things. There is up the road from this site a bar and inn that were used at the turn of the century, still standing and privatley owned, along with some opld ghost town houses and foundations. Will be looking into these as future prospects perhaps when the ground dries up some. We bought the nice lady a platt of flowers for letting us detect her yard, wich she gladly accepted. So it was kind of a win - win situation. Special thanks to the Tioga ghost town lady for letting total strangers have agreat adventure in her yard! (More pictures below, blue building is the Tioga depot, side picture of sepot is where the train actualy came from and stopped. Other larger building was the general store and post office, with living quarters. I have video of the insides of these 2 places, thats where I captured these stills from. I done know if you can post video on this site but will try if anyone is interested. Also will be posting a pic of myself and chester copperpot on the picture of yourself topic, Please...ladies.....no phone calls...please,try to hold yourselves back. ;D

Attachments

• Tioga finds.jpg
    Tioga finds.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 364
  • Chesters Barber from TIOGA.jpg
    Chesters Barber from TIOGA.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 369
  • Gen store post office frnt.jpg
    Gen store post office frnt.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 362
  • Tioga depot front.jpg
    Tioga depot front.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 370
  • side where train stopped.jpg
    side where train stopped.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 358
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Tioga 1880s Depot&Gen.Store Finds

Excellent finds, and looks like an excellent place to hunt!

Keep us posted!

HH

Lonewolfe

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II

Hey Mystro....First thing that sprang to mind for me when I saw your pic was "Where was the outhouse?" I'd detect a little further away from the structures and look for the heavy forestation where people may have "Dropped Trou". Good luck and congratulations on the permission to hunt this great site! ~CO2

OP
OP
Mystro7

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005

Ya its hard to tell where the crapper was, right behind the general store, and I mean right behind it, its nothing but marsh and tall marshy grass. Would be hard to detect. This area will be much better when it all dries out. I mean some places you wouold dig would literaly fill up with water as soon as you took out the dirt, or mud I should say. Muddy, stinky, clay lol.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

VERY COOL ! Congrats !

Attachments

• super.gif