Tip for acquiring old maps and photos

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Hey, I know that some of you "professional" treasure hunters already know this, but I just discovered it today. I've been trying to track down some of the older homes and sites in my area. I called the county trying to find a map with old property lines, and after about 15 calls, I was directed to the Soil and Conservation department.
After talking to the nice (and attractive in person might I add) lady, she told me that they had aerial photos dating back to 1938. I stopped by this morning, and got a chance to look over all the county from 1938! Then, as an extra bonus, she photocopied all the ones I was interested in!
From what I understand, some of the Soil and Water Conservation departments don't allow copies, but if you get a nice person working, and go in early before anyone else is there, you stand a good chance at getting yourself some good photos that will help you track down those pesky hard to find places.

As far as old homestead photos, check your local library in the reference section. Talk with the librarian. Sometimes they know about old photo albums that was donated to the county or city, and have them on file. The library here has them in a back room not open to the public while they try to piece it all together and get it ready for display. The librarian let me look at all the old photos, and it really helped give me an idea of where to search!
For instance, I am currently detecting an old train station site. After looking over a few photos, I realized that I have been in the wrong area for what I thought was the high traffic areas.
Also, I was able to look at some old civil war era photos, and was able to figure out some of the buildings and areas that were active during the time!
Anyway, I hope this helps some of the younger, less "professional" TH's!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread