spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like SOS the III is a signal for emergency assistance. If you're in a forest seek a good sized clearing to set your fires up about 5 foot apart. For the daytime hours you want a good smokey fire that can be made by burning either live, or wet leaves. At night the brighter the better.

If you're a hunter, firing 3 shots at night in a short interval about 5 seconds apart will also help repeat every hour and I am sure a Game Warden will find you.

Skifisher

Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX
ron of SEMO said:
Be advised that if you're bow hunting firing three arrows will NOT help you one bit! :icon_scratch: ;D

LOL :laughing9:

Keep in mind that if you start a forest fire, even when lost, you can be held responsible. Make sure you have a good fire break around you.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried to think of a scenario where you could be lost in the forest and need to signal, and came up with the plane crash. Stay with the crash site; and use a signal fire but be careful. You will be found. If you're just stupid and wander off and get lost, follow water downstream. Your luck may be bad, but you will eventually come to the Atlantic or Pacific. Shouldn't have wore those flip-flops hiking, though.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
The best thing to do is not get lost in the first place SPOT satellite messenger will not prevent you from getting lost but it will allow you to communicate your exact location lost or not. The device is sold for $150 service is by the year ~ $100 it is satellite you can go where there is no phone service and the thing will work you can be in the middle of the ocean it works. They are easy on batteries and just might be the perfect fit for those that rather not have a cell phone. There are some SPOT that allow sat comm via text messaging you can send receive these messages and these particular systems offer high quality mapping software so if money is not object you may want to go that way. I don't know what those big dog comm systems cost or the cost for service but for some it is worth the investment.
Shop around learn all you can you can get one device to do one thing mapping and another to sat comm if you do it that way you have more things to carry but more likely hood that one device will be there to serve you either way.
You can go to you tube to see the spot satellite messenger they are sold at cabellas and other places on line they have been around for a while and have produced a second generation SPOT that is not as outdoorsy. What do I mean well the new one is smaller and does not float but it functions the same you might be able to secure a first gen for less than the second be it is used but it is more hearty than the second gen. These devices use common batteries if you are one that stays in the woods for a while you can use rechargeable batteries and small solar panels to recharge your devices this way would insure you would always have power for your device.
All I can tell you is when I hear of people getting lost I cringe because I know it cost a fortune to find someone and this all is preventable with some minor preparation. I have even heard of places that rent the devices.
I think eventually the government will start to charge people for these cost when they could have used a little common sense to prevent this from occurring. I bought a small gps from a man at flea market it was $25 works great easy on batteries. I have taken it to various locations in the state and marked their location these gps dint have the snazzy software but if you look at your map you will see gps numbers on them you can take you gps numbers and locate your location on that map with your gps numbers.
If you memorize say you numbers to your house then you can look at a gps number and can estimate the location compared to your home.
Google earth can help in your education to use these devices there are tutorials that teach you to use your hand held gps many today have the car gps these can work in the woods too if you tinker with them a bit to give you your location re guardless how far you are off the main road. These are great too since they usually use USB plug that can be set to a solar charger you have to be careful you dint get them wet but that is easy with a couple of baggies.

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Forget about signal fires. The only thing worse than being lost, is dying in a forest fire you started yourself. Don't bother with signalling or shouting either, because nobody has time to investigate that stuff nowadays anyway. Especially the Natl. Forestry Service. My best advise is just to strip off all your cloths and give it about two minutes. Even if you're in the mountains of Idaho one hundred miles from the nearest town, I guarantee just as soon as you get butt naked someone will show up on an ATV.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheNewCatfish You do have a point there.. Do something silly, or embarrassing and someone is bound to show up :laughing7:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
cdltpx said:
The best thing to do is not get lost in the first place SPOT satellite messenger will not prevent you from getting lost but it will allow you to communicate your exact location lost or not. The device is sold for $150 service is by the year ~ $100 it is satellite you can go where there is no phone service and the thing will work you can be in the middle of the ocean it works. They are easy on batteries and just might be the perfect fit for those that rather not have a cell phone. There are some SPOT that allow sat comm via text messaging you can send receive these messages and these particular systems offer high quality mapping software so if money is not object you may want to go that way. I don't know what those big dog comm systems cost or the cost for service but for some it is worth the investment.
Shop around learn all you can you can get one device to do one thing mapping and another to sat comm if you do it that way you have more things to carry but more likely hood that one device will be there to serve you either way.
You can go to you tube to see the spot satellite messenger they are sold at cabellas and other places on line they have been around for a while and have produced a second generation SPOT that is not as outdoorsy. What do I mean well the new one is smaller and does not float but it functions the same you might be able to secure a first gen for less than the second be it is used but it is more hearty than the second gen. These devices use common batteries if you are one that stays in the woods for a while you can use rechargeable batteries and small solar panels to recharge your devices this way would insure you would always have power for your device.
All I can tell you is when I hear of people getting lost I cringe because I know it cost a fortune to find someone and this all is preventable with some minor preparation. I have even heard of places that rent the devices.
I think eventually the government will start to charge people for these cost when they could have used a little common sense to prevent this from occurring. I bought a small gps from a man at flea market it was $25 works great easy on batteries. I have taken it to various locations in the state and marked their location these gps dint have the snazzy software but if you look at your map you will see gps numbers on them you can take you gps numbers and locate your location on that map with your gps numbers.
If you memorize say you numbers to your house then you can look at a gps number and can estimate the location compared to your home.
Google earth can help in your education to use these devices there are tutorials that teach you to use your hand held gps many today have the car gps these can work in the woods too if you tinker with them a bit to give you your location re guardless how far you are off the main road. These are great too since they usually use USB plug that can be set to a solar charger you have to be careful you dint get them wet but that is easy with a couple of baggies.
I use a GPS and its great but a person should learn sense of direction and how to navigate without one. A simple compass should be part of every outdsoorspersons gear. Lord knows what would happen if a person depended on a GPS for their life and they left it on all night and the batteries went dead or dropped it in the water. I grew up before these electronic gizmos even before celphones and we did allright without them.

Carry a GPS- yes but dont bet your life on it my opinion. I agree some kind of emergency signalling device is almost a must to have out on the ocean.

I agree 3 shots, 3 rocks, 3 fires, 3 raps on the wall or pipe, three is the standard number for emergency assistance. 3 dots, 3 dashes, 3 dots. Dont fire so often that you use up all your ammo, depending on circumstances.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter, just make sure you fire your gun at night.. Otherwise people may just think you're hunting.

I agree on having a compass, they take up little to no space. You just have to learn how to use them :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread