Tips on asking permission

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
There's been some discussion about asking permission to hunt private property. Here are some things that work for me:

*Try to reach the person 'in person' if possible. It's much easier for someone to say no over the phone and it's harder to make a good impression. Approach them during daylight hours--less intimidating to have a stranger show up at your door.

*Don't make it seem as if you are just after monitary gain from their property. If it applies, I always start with "there's been some interesting history here" or something to get their interest going and show that your hobby is not just about $. If the history issue doesn't apply, you could say "the hobby is great exercise and you find some interesting items", etc.

*I always explain that I don't cause any property damage and how I replace the ground as it was found (True_Metal is going to laugh, because he's seen me gouge the earth down to China, but only in fields where the owner doesn't mind).

*After the first hunt and they are comfortable, I will ask before leaving if they are ok with me coming back to check at any time, or would they prefer I get back in touch with them to coordinate schedules. If you can get their permission to come back if they are home or not, it's much more convenient.

*I don't offer to give them anything unless they ask, but I'll usually say "I'll be glad to show (not give) you anything of interest that I find" and that's usually enough. I think it's up to everyone's own ethics on how to handle this, but clearly you are not obligated to give them things unless they ask you to do so.

*I always thank them before leaving, or leave a note or call back later or the next day.

*You may want to print the following to show them "how a metal detector works"--few people know.
http://www.users.on.net/~minelab/detecting/howitworks.html

*Smile/be friendly!

Upvote 0

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
Like downindixie said if you dont ask you dont get! The worst thing anyone is going to do is say no. And that dont hurt! matter of fact I hear it from the bride (Broom Hilda) all the time. Keep swinging. Cladius.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
I had no guts to ask until recently. I asked 1 private residence, 1 small business (vets office) and one medium sized business (200+ employees) and got a "go ahead" on all of them. The businesses I can't be detecting around during business hours, but I am happy as snot to have a couple more places to go besides the usual parks. One site has at least 10 acres of grassy area to check :)

BRINK

Oct 21, 2004
When we see a promising (or not so promising) park, we call the police department if it is a small town or the Parks Department if it is in a city and ask permission. This saves alot of looking over your shoulder :) We always make sure that we get the name of the person we talked to just in case we need verification. HH Brink

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Great advice folks! Thanks alot. I'm one of the biggest chickens when it comes to asking permission. As Gribnitz so poetically put it.....I was happy as snot to get permission to hunt a local (privately owned) swimming hole.(Read my post on Metal Detecting).
Glad to have the extra advice and practice does make perfect!

Good luck everyone!

Moon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions