Tips on finding new places to detect...

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I am new to detecting... so new in fact, i don't have a detector yet... I have 3 sites in mind that I am hoping to detect at some point, but all three are ones I came across while working and will require special permission from my employers to detect there (still working on that and a detector, LOL). I'm wondering how that process is normally gone about - Mine was get sent out to cut down invasive trees, find evidence on the property I was on, and then research with old topos online. I'm pretty sure that isn't how the "regulars" do it...

Also, if anyone has any do's and/or don'ts for asking permission, chime in!

Upvote 0

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
First off, let's talk permission. Just do it dont be skeered. Cheerfully ask "May I metal detect your property for old coins? I offer thirty percent of my finds". A yes or no will be had.

Ok, concerning research. Try this. Research microfilms of old newspapers in your area, if possible. My library has microfilm of the local newspaper from the mid 1800s right up to today, but I guess not too many folks have access to such microfilms. But who knows, with internet nowadays, a lot of this is digitized, available on line. Look for the announcements in summertime, Fourth of July, and such. You will see "A great crowd of folks gathered at Jenkin's grove on the Green River in Old Town this past Fourth of July". Fun was had by all, believe me. Nowadays, I cruise endlessly, aimlessly, in my trusty M8, until I see an old park that looks good, but I know that every Tom, Dick and Harry and Jim and Nancy and all their kids and many others from miles away, have absolutely pummeled, again, and again, and again, for decades. But I still go there because I have never been there, with my tecter, using my incredible tectin skills. But I rarely find find anything nowadays, the minelab guys raped and pillaged the last of the copper and silver. But not the gold.

6347567.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be polite and one place may lead to another. It has for me. Sometimes they can give you leads or introduce you to others.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Think about striking up a conversation with the old folks. They love to reminisce about the old times, and sometimes they talk of a place long forgotten.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asking permission from your employer shouldn't be too hard. They know you and that you're responsible (you are, right? :laughing7:) Asking a stranger is a bit tougher but the same procedure. You need to instill confidence in them that you aren't a lowlife and you won't tear up the place and leave holes and trash laying around. Be clean and presentable when you meet for the first time. Smile, be friendly and enthusiastic about their property and your hobby of metal detecting. I wouldn't use the word "digging", "tresure", or "holes" or offer to share finds at the beginning. I'd only bring it up if they ask or if they're on the fence on whether to say yes or no. Use the words "recover" and "items", "relics", or "artifacts" instead. If they ask, also offer to sign a liability waiver (keep one with you at all times). You should also offer to find anything the person may have lost on the property (get a detailed description) and to pick up any trash you come across. Once you get permission and develop a positive relationship with the person, ask them if they know their neighbors or relatives in the area that would also allow you to search their property.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ask, ask, ask. If only one in ten says yes, you're getting yes in ten percent of the places. That ten % should keep you busy. ( the worse that can happen is they will say no - they can't hit you!) TTC

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The other summer i asked permission to search the back yard of a local Bed and Breakfast dated 1777. The answer was no. Low and behold the next summer they dug the back yard up anyway to build a new addition to the property!! Every time I pass the property it makes me angry. Imagine all the history that was dug up and possibly hauled away in the dirt...

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Local history section of your library.

I have learned a lot from "picture" books, old photos from the past can reveal a wealth of information about your area.

Start snooping, you will recognize a good lead when you see one, GL.

zdawg3579

Feb 23, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I am new to detecting... so new in fact, i don't have a detector yet... I have 3 sites in mind that I am hoping to detect at some point, but all three are ones I came across while working and will require special permission from my employers to detect there (still working on that and a detector, LOL). I'm wondering how that process is normally gone about - Mine was get sent out to cut down invasive trees, find evidence on the property I was on, and then research with old topos online. I'm pretty sure that isn't how the "regulars" do it...

Also, if anyone has any do's and/or don'ts for asking permission, chime in!

Here's how I research: I thing of the types of places I want to detect so for example I'm going to say abandoned airfields. Then I research through old maps and military installments. Might even ask a few guys I know that know things you can't find on the internet. Then I go and detect, based on what I find I make the decision of whether it's a good spot. Plus the relics found tells me a story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread