Tips, Techniques and Theories to make CRH more productive ~ add yours

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Tanner and I have been coin roll hunting for about 10 years. We have found a lot of cool coins. We thought a thread on improving your productivity may be helpful.

We really think volume is the key the more coins you look at the better chance of finding something.

When ever I stop at a bank I will ask the teller for $2 in cents. This will test the waters and help break the ice. Then I ask if she has any Half dollar coins, fifty cent pieces. Loose, in rolls or perhaps in the vault. This will often jog her memory about halves. I will then ask her, "Do any of the other tellers have any." This will often give you a few more chances to get some coins.

I will look to see if the bank has a coin machine. I will ask if they ever sell bags to customers. I have only found 2 banks in Michigan that are willing to sell me bags. (Bags are the way to go)

There is not much difference between hunting rural or big city banks. At a rural bank there may not be as many coin roll hunters asking for halves, but their are less customer to change them in. In a big city there is a higher volume of customers but also a higher volume of coin roll hunters.

I like getting tellers who are foreign born as they seem less likely to know about silver. I love hunting in Dearborn, MI with their high Arabic population.

I also ask tellers for Big Dollars and show them one, to help them know what I am talking about.

I very rarely drive out of my way to stop at banks. My work takes me around the state of Michigan and Ohio. I often leave 15 minutes early to work, this will give me some extra times to stop at a couple banks along the way.

Please ad any CRH therois or tips that have helped you.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

Upvote 0

yankeesfan4life

May 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Most people know this, but always ask if they have CWRs of the denomination you are asking for. With CWRs, you may get rolls another hunter has searched through, but you may get silver that someone cashed in.

CoinRoller

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2016
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some will think I'm nuts for sharing such info, but I carry representative War Nickels with me. Many younger tellers have no idea what they are. One was appreciative enough that she remembered me when she received three dime rolls marked 1954 and 1956. She kept them for me and let me swap fifteen dollars for them. This is the best of how such overtures have paid off, but I do believe that the nicer you are to them, the nicer they will be to you.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best tip I ever got was, it’s a hobby not a
Job.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just like CoinRoller stated "I do believe that the nicer you are to them, the nicer they will be to you" is the secret sauce to this recipe. Always be courteous, always position yourself as the one doing them the favor of taking halves and CWRs off of their hands and do not complain when you are shorted. Since I do this hobby with my kids in an effort to get them off video games and learn to appreciate currency, I bring them along when possible to pick up my orders. The tellers then see that I am not pulling their leg when I tell them that it is a hobby for me. Also the occasional gift of a dozen donuts or so after a nice score goes a long way to "sweeten" relationships. Like PortEwenAce said once (I think it was him), get some "sweets for your sweeties every once in a while". :)

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tip: I use a fingernail clipper to open my rolls of coins. The part that's used to clean under the nail, just slide it under the wrapper where you open just to loosen it up then tear open from there. That's just my own personal preference, and saves me from any cuts/soreness under the fingernail.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be secure. Don't leave wrappers or large amounts of coin in your vehicle, conceal them in and out of the bank, make sure you're not followed.

Don't tell anyone and everyone. You can always share your hobby, but you can't take it back.

MotherOfGeeks

Apr 26, 2016
Washington
Primary Interest:
Other
I like hunting rolls from the smaller banks and credit unions, i find way more cool coins in them. I order boxes from a major bank, but the customer rolls they get are almost always from businesses.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread