Tips/techniques on asking permission?!?

DiggItUp

Mar 9, 2013
Hey guys, I've been starting to get too advanced and hunted out all the spots on my property and my neighbors'. When I drive I'm always looking for old areas and houses. Then one day I remembered, I'd driven by it maybe 500 times before! A sweet old house (still standing) that looks to be late 1800's maybe even older. Also its so close to my house, I could drive there in like 5 mins and walk there in like 20 mins(I live on back roads). It's abandoned clearly, and there aren't any other houses or buildings in the lot. It looks VERY tempting and promising. I didn't see any 'NO TRESPASSING' signs, and I keep seeing people say if there aren't any signs, I can detect until asked to leave or warned. I tracked down the people who own it, and they live about an hour away from it. So I'm either thinking its their "camp" (17 acres btw which is kinda small for a camp) but I've never seen anybody ever on it or any activity with the building. Or I'm thinking its just owned (possibly and inheritance) by them and they just don't use it. I have the telephone number of the owner from tracking them down. So here's my question, you guys think I could just go there and detect and be as discreet as possible, or call the owner for confirmation. Also if I call the owner, any tips or what do I say??
The house is just SO tempting and it's still standing so I could possibly find stuff in the house as well on the property. It's still cold in PA so I have maybe a week.

Thanks

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
I would highly suggest you get permission first.
Make the phone call, introduce yourself, explain you do this as a hobby and ask. Maybe, just maybe, you might get a story out of them of something that was lost or might have been buried there. Offer to look for the said item in return for permission.

Just cause it looks abandoned, and has no "no trespassing" signs doesn't mean it isn't being watched.

I have a bunch of land in PA, if you were to ask me I'd say no problem, as long as you respect my land.
But there are a couple of spots on the property that in no circumstances would I let you hunt. More for your safety then anything.
Those places are watched, and you do not want to meet up with those folks.

Ignorance of the law doesn't matter. You are on someone's property without their permission if you do it without asking.

Plus if you ask you may find out about the covered over well or outhouse remains that you might fall into. Would anyone know where you were if it happened?

OP
OP
DiggItUp

DiggItUp

Mar 9, 2013
Thanks. I think I'm afraid that before I get to explain that I won't harm his land and ill till in my holes etc, he will just say no right away. Well Im definitely calling (u guys have convinced me) but I'm still really nervous.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always ask for permission and tell them that I'll split it 50-50,or 80-20.Most of the time the tell me just fill in the holes and keep what you want.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
17 acres old property I wouldnt just do it if they came there they might get mad & u wont b able to detect at all & chances r there gonna show up when u find or start to find something real.nice id ask sounds like a honey hole

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just ask for permission and explain to them that you will not harm the property. May also search on internet or make up your own little form(s) that release them of any liability issues incase that is their hang up (of being sued for you twisting an ankle or worse), or permission slips to show any caretaker or nosey neighbors that may inquire about why you are there. It goes a long ways to just be genuine and also inquire about the history of the property for hazards, also any old stories of some family member losing a ring or such and let them know that you would return it if found. It goes a long ways for most to know that you are just doing a hobby you love and not some greed nut wanting to "steal" their valuables. They may even let you into the building to look around for old hiding spots )

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am from AZ so when I get to travel east, I always take the opportunity to knock on a few doors to get permission to hunt interesting properties. I always look respectable/clean and have my equipment with me so they can see it. I explain I have found some really cool stuff at other home sites in their area (fact or not) and that I would love to see what could possibly be buried in their yard. I may even offer to show them how I will dig so they can see I don't leave a trace most of the time. The big sale point is me telling them they can participate if they want and that the findings are theirs ultimately. Almost always I will be allowed to hunt and the homeowner just will want to see what I found allowing me to keep almost everything. No one has ever taken me up on hunting with me. The long and short is that you have to cater to the homeowner's sense of nervousness in that he doesn't know you and thinks you'll mess up the property and keep valuables. After a few times you'll definitely get the hang of it. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread