tips?

Walk slowly. Concentrate on the gravel bars. A lot more difficult spotting things on gravel bars than on a heavily rained on plowed field. Walk slowly, look slowly (maybe several times over the same gravel bar). Pottery. For every point I find in creeks, I find around 8-10 pieces of pottery. Look closely at the eroding banks and the base of eroding banks. It looks like you're in MO. If you are, you might have great success (based on what I see on youtube). As for what is an artifact or what is not......it is usually very apparent. More often than not, if you're not sure, it probably is not an artifact.

lots of videos from MO

What ptsfnc said is good advice. Also known what chipped stone looks like because you may only see a ear of a point. Look around logs or anything thing that might trap a artifact. Also all artifacts are not chipped, if something looks different than the other 99% of the stones in the creek pick it up. Look and read books on all the types of artifacts that are found in your area. You should walk a rock bar in every direction that you can. Start off near the bank then come back the way you just walked then move over a few feet and do it again. When you learn what to spot it gets better, but you got to put boots on the ground and put in your time. If you find something that your not sure of pack it out and post it on here because we have a wealth of knowledge on this site, but if the the consciences of the group tell you it's just a rock then don't get mad listen an learn.

To build on the walk slowly, Some one once said look for points like you dropped one. Like stated before practice, by looking you will start to recognize shapes and color and material. Also if you’re up to it try your hand on making points from bottle bases, lots of YouTube videos on it, it gives you a lot of insight on what chipped pieces look like and how to tell intentional shaping from natural breaks.

Good advice from all above and also if your not sure if something is a tool or something, it doesn't cost anything but a little time to lay them up on the bank or beside your house for looking at and comparing other stuff you find later. And pick up and look at everything you think may be something. I figured I pick up about 200 or 300 pieces of nothing before I might find a piece of or a whole artifact! So don't give up! Search the web for Missouri Native American artifacts for examples. GOOD LUCK and welcome!

I'd also throw in to walk trails. Even trails that are hiking trails today... as natural to walk then as they are now along rivers etc.

Great advice from everyone here. I mostly searched tidal rivers, so my 2 cents may not be as applicable. BUT, points can gather in the pools below (downstream from) a big rock, where pools gather things up and get stuck in the eddy (low pressure?). It's easier to search when the water's lower than usual, later in the summer- and when there isn't so much current and more exposed creek-bed. But more than anything, it's about being persistent. Just keep going out and looking. See if you can find a place along your creek where hunting might be best (or fishing)-- and would have been best for a very, very long time. Places like that don't really change much over the years (and centuries) depending on land development in you area. Make time to check your creek after a heavy rain or storm, as that will change the topography of the creek-bed, and as it is w/ tidal rivers, artifacts can be just a thin layer of sand or silt away and you won't see them, so check regularly. Good luck!!

I am from the southwest part of Missouri Springfield area. I can tell you this for sure. There is not a creek or river here no matter the size that doesn't contain findable artifacts. I find a lot in creeks like this one. It doesn't run for most of the year. It does have 3 springs that I have never seen dry. Once they enter the main creek bed they go under ground. I have a found a ton of points and tools in it. Get or make a good flipping stick and start flipping rocks. It also helps me to look out in front a few feet and not directly down at feet. It is way easier on your neck also..
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1592511431.954472.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back