Titanium sand scoop project updated more pics.

Fortlloyd

May 26, 2006
OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Thanks for the compliments guys! ;D My mission has been accomplished. Sandman, I would like to build a long handle version and I do have some design ideas in my head. The problem is going to be cost. Making it larger with more holes and long handle translates to more money! It takes many hours just to drill the holes. Not to mention forming and welding time. And cost of material. The cost would be prohibitive to all but the most dedicated (crazy in love with it) detectorist. I would enterain the thought of doing custom builds on an individual basis. If anyone is serious and wants a truly custom sand scoop or digger, send me a pm or e mail and we'll talk.
Anyway, Thanks again all. Fortloyd, Glad you like it :headbang:

Dennis

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Now... isn't this a real "beach"!

Here we have the BEST possible metal for a scoop...
You can not compare it to aluminim, or stainless...
for strength... light weight... corrosion resistance!

Humm? Could this be why the "black box" on aircraft is made from titanium!?
That beach would need to get kind'a hot before a titanium scoop melts...
500 degrees more than your stainless scoop! But, you wouldn't be there to see it! ;D

Yeah, I know... it's the price!

But, I have a friend who just bought a new Ranger bass boat... think he said $35,000? :o
Isn't it nice to have a choice between detecting and bass fishing!? :laughing7:

Cabana Dan

Greenie
May 9, 2009
Dennis,

thank you for the response. Nice "beefy" design. Even in stainless I might be tempted to get one.
I'll get a cheap one for now and see if I hear back from you in the future.

Dan

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If we get one and it lasts for say.....only 150 years, can we get a new one free? :laughing7: Monty

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh heck, I missed again.. if you make the diggers again let me know too.. I would be interested in a long handled scooper.

thanks
Rae

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Monty said:
If we get one and it lasts for say.....only 150 years, can we get a new one free? :laughing7: Monty

Sorrry Monty, I'm afraid that after only 150 years it will show just a little honest wear! :laughing7:

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Bootybay said:
oh heck, I missed again.. if you make the diggers again let me know too.. I would be interested in a long handled scooper.

thanks
Rae

Ok Bootybay. Will let you know.

Dennis

ohiotech

Jan 4, 2007
Dayton, Ohio.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark with stock 8" and CSC
Mxtman2,

Sent you a PM. Please let me know when you're back in production.

Also, and I know some people have already asked, but if you find yourself making a version that allows for a long handled shaft, let me know about that one too. It would be great if one could do both with a bit of a quick disconnect, but at this time, I'm game for either. And since I just gave the long handled beach scoop I was using back to its original owner, I'm in the market for one again, and would rather purchase it from someone like yourself that is giving back to the community.

Thanks in advance!

Ohiotech

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I missed again dag napit... please add me to the list for both I sent ya a pm. I am desperate.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dennis, am going back into my pms, I dont recall getting one recently.. lemme double check.

DetectoDude

May 2, 2004
So. Ca.
Great job on the scoops! I think we should get together for I have also been making titanium scoops and digging tools here in Southern California! I started with a round design with 5/8 holes punched in a flat patern than rolled. Later I made the shovel last picture also from titanium with a carbon fiber handle. Enjoyed your post, Rick.

Attachments

• scoop.JPG
    scoop.JPG
    390 KB · Views: 1,206
  • scoop mounted.JPG
    scoop mounted.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,165
  • .JPG
    .JPG
    750.6 KB · Views: 1,232

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread