Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went digging Saturday with my daughter. After a couple sites we stopped by one more on our way home. This was a small tot lot at an elementary school yard. The play areas were all sand. First thing I noticed was another guy detecting around the play sets. Next thing I noticed was the full size shovel he was using! If you are new or a seasoned pro, DON'T TAKE A SHOVEL IN ANY PUBLIC AREA!!! :BangHead:
Shovels are made for digging a lot of dirt. That is exactly what the public thinks when they see you with it. Don't get places closed for the rest of us! This area was sand, you can use a scoop, or move the sand with you shoe to find your target. Then last night I went to another public school with a large grass area where I dig some silver now and then. I found some 12" diameter plugs where someone else had been. They were sticking up like a cork partly out of a bottle. :BangHead: Come on you guys. Do it right or put the detector back in the closet. We welcome all you newbies into the hobby, but don't want places closed to to poor digging practices.
Can I get an AMEN?

P.S. I did get a merc! :icon_thumleft:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Amen! A beginning detectorist i see now and then is in need of a demonstration. I,m partly responsible for his interest and have shown him various tools. His little shovel a little big for park.
An approx. 18 inch loose piece of dying turf in his home park(no that does not mean it was his,though he was there days earlier). i moved aside to prep soil below had metal lid with fresh pierce in it laying there. Yes it stuck up above ground level too. If he still does not have a decent digger i,ll give him one. Along with a retrieval /site restoration example.

mjc_lakedweller

Nov 14, 2011
Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is simple respect to replace a flap or plug. It takes literally an extra few seconds to replace properly. I too have come across some areas that were dug and half-heartedly replaced. Lets all make a pledge to give our hobby a positive reflection.

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen and congrats on the Merc!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread