To All US Hunters in Canada

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to Canada for a trip, might as well hunt some coins and trade in the magnet clads for cash in TD Bank and Citibank in Canada.

I have USA TD bank and Citibank accounts, am I considered a Canadian account customer automatically? or UK customer for that matter....

I dont want to open up foreign country accounts just for this trip.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from what i gather, TD Bank in america is completely different from TD Bank in Canada, i don't think you'll have an account with the td banks in canada.

OP
OP
GEOFF

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how about Citibank or BoA in Canada?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i don't deal with citibank, and i did not know there were Bank of America branches in Canada, but you're right, there are indeed... ??? perhaps dealing with all the american change circulating in canada? i have no clue. sorry i couldn't help you any further.
hh
buff

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The banks are completely differnent but own buy the same bank holding companies. They have different regulatory requirements and laws governing their banking practices. There is close association between them because the ultimate owner would be Citibank Holding Co. in New York, where Citibank is concerned but the operating entities you deal with as a retail customer are seperate.

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
As far as I know we don't have any BofA in Canada or at least in my province. You'r american TD account won't carry over because it is a US dollar account but if I were you I would bring your card because you still have some affiliation. Here in Canada we have the option to have a Canadian dollar account and an American dollar account. The most common banks you will find are of course TD, Scotia bank, Bank of Montreal, Royal Bank of Canada, CIBC, HSBC and there are the credit unions. There aren't any Citibanks in my city but I can't speak for down east. Where in Canada are you traveling to? As down in the USA many banks will exchange cash for coin if you don't have an account but same as in the USA some will turn you away, Royal Bank of Canada almost always turns away non customers. Any more questions you may have I would be happy to try and answer.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bank of America and Scotia Bank have an ATM alliance agreement. With your BoA debit card on Scotia's ATM you can directly access your US checking account and your total amount is shown as canadian dollar (minus 1% international currency converting fee). No other ATM fee will be applied. This only works on the ATM machine.

"Bank of Montreal" and "TD canada trust" have coin counting machines in certain area. If you have friends living there, ask them if they're banking with these banks. In general Banks in Canada charge a lots of fees for common services. $1 for withdrawing, depositing, use bill pay, use own ATM, writing a check, here and there. My friend is banking with RBC now. I asked her to open an account at Bank of Montreal just for me and then felt guilty so asked her not to. If you look up the requirements for a free checking in Canada, you would love US more.

OP
OP
GEOFF

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canadian Guy, I am visiting Toronto, namely the CN tower among other things, a friend and I made a bet that I cannot hop onto that plastic flooring at the top of the tower. the bet is $20 USD which will be mine.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GEOFF said:
Canadian Guy, I am visiting Toronto, namely the CN tower among other things, a friend and I made a bet that I cannot hop onto that plastic flooring at the top of the tower. the bet is $20 USD which will be mine.

Not understanding this at all.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: I just came back from Canada (Atlantic Provinces/ (PEI, New Brunswick & Nova Scotia) this year & Quebec City last year. Both times i brought Canadian change with me to convert into currency. I went to TD banks both times. I told them I had a TD bank account in the US but not in Canada. I offered to give them my account number but they didn't require it. All they required me to do was put the change into coin wrappers. They than gave me Canadian currency for the coins. I had no problems with them. They even gave me Canadian coin wrappers to put the coins into. Both times I had over $400 in coins to turn in. From my experiences with TD bank, I would say go to them & you shouldn't have any trouble converting Canadian change into Canadian currency.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread