Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Low hanging fruit there FBT, dunno how things work among the smug pseudointellectual rootless cosmopolitan types infesting much of the East and West coast but calling someone a fat cow won't win any arguments in the rest of the country.

Also, posting your BMI for all to see, and then immediately claiming that you don't care what anyone thinks about you is glaringly contradictory. If you truly didn't care you wouldn't bother posting it. Might want to ruminate on that.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red and Tim, BOTH of you end it or lose the right to post. LAST WARNING!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not a right to post T.H., it is a privilege.

An important distinction imo.

Guess I should have said "the ability to post".

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its always discouraging, though by now, predictable, to see this discussion quickly descend into entrenched positions that are counter-productive to a meaningful solution. My own guns are safely locked up in a quality gun safe. That also prevents me from quickly accessing them if I need to. In the OP description of this event, the 14 y.o. son saw the intruder crouched beside a bedroom bed. It is fairly common for folks to keep a gun handy in a bedside stand. Had such a weapon been left in a night stand, then this intruder would have been an armed intruder and the ending likely would have been different. I live in MD, so the gov't has already restricted how I can choose to defend myself. But even if allowed to carry, mistakes happen and I make them too (how often do we not bother with PFDs on the water because its too hot or they are uncomfortable, etc?). My preferred handgun is a revolver and it is not as easy to carry. I have misplaced my cell phone enough to know that I might also misplace a self-defense tool. I have also been in situations where I was caught by surprise by drug dealers pointing guns at me and know that if I had a gun, or went for one, it might not have been a good idea. On the other hand, I absolutely don't feel my safety is enhanced by having local police visit when its too late and write some report.
I don't have an answer but I recognize that every situation, like the one reported by the OP, is different, and one size does not fit all. I do believe that nothing good comes from entrenched positions dug in looking down on others and calling names. Too much talking, not enough real listening. We have enough of that nonsense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its always discouraging, though by now, predictable, to see this discussion quickly descend into entrenched positions that are counter-productive to a meaningful solution. My own guns are safely locked up in a quality gun safe. That also prevents me from quickly accessing them if I need to. In the OP description of this event, the 14 y.o. son saw the intruder crouched beside a bedroom bed. It is fairly common for folks to keep a gun handy in a bedside stand. Had such a weapon been left in a night stand, then this intruder would have been an armed intruder and the ending likely would have been different. I live in MD, so the gov't has already restricted how I can choose to defend myself. But even if allowed to carry, mistakes happen and I make them too (how often do we not bother with PFDs on the water because its too hot or they are uncomfortable, etc?). My preferred handgun is a revolver and it is not as easy to carry. I have misplaced my cell phone enough to know that I might also misplace a self-defense tool. I have also been in situations where I was caught by surprise by drug dealers pointing guns at me and know that if I had a gun, or went for one, it might not have been a good idea. On the other hand, I absolutely don't feel my safety is enhanced by having local police visit when its too late and write some report.
I don't have an answer but I recognize that every situation, like the one reported by the OP, is different, and one size does not fit all. I do believe that nothing good comes from entrenched positions dug in looking down on others and calling names. Too much talking, not enough real listening. We have enough of that nonsense.

Correct. First stop was the kitchen drawer. Perp had a small (but sharp 5inch ) paring knife from my kitchen drawer in his bag. Next to the bed I keep a stun gun, 2 X concealed knives and (I hate to say it now) machete. So yes it could have gone sideways very easily.

On another note, healthy BMI doesnt make one bulletproof. My wife and children are all tall, slim, fit and healthy. We dont drink .People on meth often havent slept for days and are unpredictable at best, violent and psychotic at worst.

chub

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6 ft 3 in
286 lb

Brock_Lesnar.jpg

Wow! He doesn't look fat to me....
BMI charts must not understand some people... arn't stick boys!

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My story dates back some 38 years (give or take a couple) and doesn’t involve theft of property, but it would be a mistake to say nothing was taken.

I was young and strong as a bull; working as a route salesman for the local distributor of Anheuser-Busch. Technically my job description was selling and delivering AB products into licensed retail establishments - essentially I got paid to lift weights all day long.

My route was the country route - consisting of a bunch of small rural towns in the outlying area. In the weeks prior to - and immediately after - the Sturgis motorcycle event, it was very common to see a large group of bikers gathered at the small little water holes that were my route. Mostly they presented no problems at all: in fact it was typically a lot of fun as they tended to drink Budweiser and considered me to be a savior of sorts (bringing them more beer).

As I pulled into the parking lot of one little hole-in-the-wall bar, I noticed that there was a single motorcycle in the lot. No other vehicles, except that of the bartender (who I knew well). This particular bar had an old cooler on the outside of the main building in which all of the packaged beer was stored. The front of that cooler attached to the back side of the wall (behind the bar top) so the bartender could easily grab carry out packages and/or restock the drop-in cooler that held the single containers for on-site consumption.

The bar also had a keg-orator (a cooler that holds kegs of beer) for their draught beer. Part of my job was restocking the keg-orator if needed (it always needed restocking). To accomplish this I had to bring the kegs through the front door, lift them up on top of the bar counter, then go through the narrow cut-out in the bar, and take the kegs off the counter so I could replace the empty kegs with full kegs of beer. I always stocked the keg-orator last; after I had given the bartender the bill.

State laws didn’t allow alcohol to be charged, so all invoices had to be paid at the time of purchase. A bounced check automatically resulted in the shut-off of all alcohol deliveries (until the check was made good) so most establishments chose to pay cash for their beer deliveries. As a result it was common for me to have $15,000 or more, in cash, at the end of each day.

When I brought the kegs through the front door I saw the lone customer - a surly looking biker who didn’t fit the meme of most of those who went to Sturgis (regular folks who liked bikes). This guy looked the part of the movie type of biker - unkempt, uncouth, and looking for trouble. The bartender paid me immediately, and as I took the cash from her and put in in my front shirt pocket (along with the other cash) he stood up and walked toward me, talking all the way. He was going to take the money, or so he claimed, and there wasn’t a thing I could do to stop it from happening. He was a big guy - probably a bit bigger than I was, but it was close.

As he got within a few feet of me, I asked him to wait just a second and then lifted a full keg of beer over my head then set it on top of the bar counter. I then turned to him and asked him if he could do the same. He looked sheepish and stammered his reply - “no” he couldn’t do that. “Think about that” I said. He then turned and slowly walked back to his beer, without saying a single word.

That’s not the story itself, but I wanted to give the reader an idea of who I was in those days. I wasn’t the type of guy most people wanted to mess with; not that I looked for trouble, but I wasn’t inclined to shy away if someone presented themselves in a manner that irked me either.

About 2 - 3 months prior to that incident I was awakened by the most disturbing scream I’ve ever heard. It was about 2:00 in the morning and my girlfriend let out the most blood curdling scream; it was primal and snapped me awake instantly.

I asked her what was wrong.

She replied “there’s someone in here.”

Instantly I was filled with rage and stood up, naked as the day I was born, on the waterbed; trying to see who had invaded our bedroom. My eyes stung; I could barely manage to keep them open, but I was able to see a shadowy figure about three feet away from my girlfriend’s side of the bed. He was just standing there - never said a word.

I screamed “I’m going to kill you” and lept out of the bed after him. He turned and ran through the living room and out the door that he had left open. I chased him out of the apartment, down the steps through the main building door, and outside about 1 block from the building. I was still mostly blind, but could see just enough to know I was no more than a couple of steps behind him.

Had I been able to gain one step I would have grabbed him and he would've been a dead pervert. I had every intention to kill him and would have done so without giving it a second thought.

With my girlfriend screaming the entire time, and being unable to catch the perpetrator, I realized I was stark naked and went back to the apartment (throwing on shorts and a shirt) to call the police.

The guy had broken into our apartment, entered the bedroom, and knelt beside my girlfriend - rubbing her genitals: all while knowing I was sleeping right next to her.

The cops told us that there had been a couple other reports of the same circumstances. A friend, on the force, told me that they were desperately trying to catch him because they were sure the guy would escalate things.

The cops also told me that if the guy were to pay another visit, that I should drag the body back into the apartment prior to calling the police. They knew full and well that I would kill the guy if I had the opportunity.

Roughly six months later my cop friend told me they had caught the guy. He had broke into some girl’s apartment and raped her. She lived with her husband, who was out of town at the time.

Against the building owner’s wishes, I changed the locks to our apartment and installed security measures to the front door of the building. I put a deadlock on our apartment, and secured the sliding glass door to the balcony; none of which really eased my girlfriend’s anxiety. She seldom spoke about what happened, but she was never really the same afterwards.

In many ways I’m not the same either; the slightest noise wakes me up to this day. I have alarms, cameras, and motion security lights around our property. My wife doesn’t know what happened back then and I see no reason to worry her by telling her the story.

I’m not so young now, nor am I the physical threat that I once was. I’m much more into prevention and being prepared in the event that another pervert chooses our home. I’m also far more likely to shoot, since I can no longer run so well. I don’t sleep in the nude anymore either, and I always sleep on the side of the bed that is the closest to the door.

I don’t expect it to happen again, but then again I never believed it would happen at all.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Chub, good job and glad it came out ok. Most of the people I dealt with those teardrops meant years spent in prison, but still bad dudes. I did a lot of things, but the most satisfying were when I interrupted a burglary in progress or caught a thief and recovered folks property. Great to help people get their stuff back and see the bad guy off to jail. More important part of the job, as I never really cared much for writing minor traffic tickets, haha!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! He doesn't look fat to me....
BMI charts must not understand some people... arn't stick boys!

Atypical example and a steroid freak as well. Unfortunately, most people your size don't look like that.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
your neighbors have a substantial security force? who the heck are you? is peyton manning your neighbor?

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more I read one certain person's posts, the more I find several adages to be applicable :

(1) Tis' better to be thought a fool and remain silent than to open your mouth and remove all doubt,
(2) Never miss a good opportunity to shut up,
(3) Never argue with a stupid person. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience, and
(4) In the words of the philosopher, Ron White, "You can't fix stupid".

Just saying.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, Jeff, Jeff ... please check your ego at the door. Not only am I talking to you, I'm talking about you. :laughing7: Who else could it possibly be.

Dang kids.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeh OK.
Here is a pic of me from 1991, 232lbs

old photos three.JPG

Which according to the BMI makes me overweight. Hmmmmm Invisible fat?
I have a lot more muscle now and could lose what little gut I have about 10 lbs. My brother in law is a sports medicine doctor and said the BMI does not take in to consideration large bones, bone density and athletic builds... not a stick boy. I have met a few people from this forum in person that can verify that I'm not fat but very muscular.... but I asked them and they don't like you... as most people don't so.......:tongue3:

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have met a few people from this forum in person that can verify that I'm not fat but very muscular.... but I asked them and they don't like you... as most people don't so

I could give a rat's behind if anyone here likes me. I will always give my honest opinion on any subject posted on these forums. My opinion on you and your BMI stands. You are clinically classified as being obese.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother in law is a sports medicine doctor and said the BMI does not take in to consideration large bones, bone density and athletic builds..

I made an inappropriate comment, so I removed it.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
geez!!! I only have a few brain cells left....I really have to watch reading some of these posts in fear of losing them!!! :tongue3:

As far as the question of the thread? I don't have any stories that come close...

The closest thing that happened was.... Years ago my younger brothers truck was broken into, he was young at the time , about 17 or 18. They stole his detector (BH), stereo, amp, speakers, and whatever else they could get out of it. We eventually found out who it was....Couldn't prove it to the police,. The thief ran his mouth and said "no video no proof etc..." He also started harassing my brother, following him around, trying to scare him. About a month or so later the thief's uninsured truck ended up tore up!! A group of guys stopped at his house, ran up, beat all the windows every panel,tires, and lights. They did a good job of it!! in a hurry yelling " no video no proof etc..." on the way out..... The truck was never driven again and sat tore up for years.

No, it really wasn't the right or legal way to handle it, but....... My brother was left alone after that and that guy never said a word to him again. I think he got the hint. :dontknow: We never got any of the stuff back and at that point didn't even care.

As far as the guns go...I have them around, I'm not quick to grab one, but do carry when I feel like I should, for whatever reason. If someone was in the house with my wife and child here? They are getting shot. I don't care about lawsuits, jail, or whatever else. I would not take the chance if that kind of situation came up. No doubt in my mind!!! I crack up at some of the stupid suggestions of the anti gun idiots!!! :tongue3: That's their choice not to have them, but don't shame the people that do. As far as I know it's still a Right.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread