To Cook or not to Cook.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
A friend found this old, but not so old anchor off of Miami during a dive. Can you establish its age? It stands exactly 3-ft tall and will require fiberglass or resin repairs on the hooks. It sat around for awhile (outside) then was given to me. I hesitated on electrolysis until I located a large vat. Finally, I got one. The plastic top to an old car luggage rack. During the interim, while in my possession, I coated it frequently with OSPHO. As you can see, it is due for another coat. I have used electrolysis on Civil War and pre-Civil War iron relics, such as ax heads, but have yet to take on a project this size. My electolysis procedure involves the use of an adjustable current battery charger. I have purchased iron rebar hoops to encompass around the anchor. I wire them together with bare copper wire and use the same for connection to the charger. The source will be a battery charger and the solution will be purified water spiked with PH (up). Is it worth the effort or is it beyond hope?

anch-1.jpg anch-2.jpg anch-3.jpg

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yep, I would if you have the resources. Ospho only removes and slows surface rust...a few hundred years in salt water has permeated the iron to its core. Without conservation it will rust away to nothing. 6-8 months in electrolysis followed by a coat of black Rustoleum, and lastly a Polyurethane sealer and you'll have a yard ornament that will last hundreds of years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions