To dig or not to dig...? +Various Questions

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
I am still quite green to the game of MDing. I am curious to see how strong a signal must be to spur the veterans to dig. Previously, when I get a strong signal, I walk in a circle around the target, and if I get the signal all the way around the target I dig. The produces coins most of the time, but they are always shallow.

It would seem that deeper coins don't usually give such a strong signal. Previously I had a BH Land Star. Now I have a Minelab Explorer II, although I have only been out with it once since I have been away from home a good bit lately.

Anyway, alot of times I will sweep and get a strong signal going both ways, but as soon as I change angles to circle around it, the signal disappears. Is this because the target is deep, or on edge? Does anyone dig that sort of thing?? I assume so, because the signals which I can get all the way around a target are always shallow.

The question is: how strong an repeatable does a signal have to be before you will dig? Again, I am using a ML Explorer II...

Another question: How important is the use of headphones? I haven't used them much in general and not at all the EXII, but I assume that really quiet signals are deeper targets??

And finally; I assume it is normal to lose a signal after you remove a plug. It seems that air would be less conductive than soil.

I apprecate you help in advance!!

Upvote 0

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey MD, dig it all and take your time sorting it out. Especially when being both new and having one of the top machines in the field. Soil and ground differences being what they are, you are the best judge of which signals to dig in your area and that only comes with practice and experience.
After a while, you may find some of those iffy and junk signals to be just the thing you're looking for!

Marc in VA

Jun 27, 2003
Stafford, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab Equinox 800, 3 Minelab XS Explorers
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MD.. First off you need to always use headphones as you dont want to not hear those deep faint signals. For now the best way to learn your detector is to dig everything. Once you become familiar with your Minelab you will learn when not to dig. If you get a real loud signal then it is probably near the surface or it is a really large object. The fact that you may get a loud signal in one direction and not in a different direction may be due to a junk signal next to a good signal. With the Minelab you want to always dig the faint repeatable signals even if they are somewhat broken. a really deep coin will many times give a faint signal that is high pitched but with changing notes. These signals have proved to be my best keepers.
Loosing signals after removing the plug is quite common with the real deep stuff. Soil acts as a conductor of sorts and when it is removed then many times the signal is gone. Soil conditions such as wet or dry enhance this. I usually find deeper stuff when the soil is wet or damp so the best advise is dont give up if the signal dissapears.
Hope this helps.
Marc

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For myself its target signal strength vs depth. First let me repeat that if your unsure, DIGIT!!! I use a Whites Spectrum Eagle and have learned you can never be 100% sure of any reading.

Our local city park has some very deep targets and I get many targets that sound good in only one direction, but if I read a depth of 9"+ I dig it.

Headphones not only make hearing the faint signals easier, they save on battery consummation. It takes less battery to power headphones than an on-board speaker in many cases.

You may notice the KEY here is faint signals. With the exception of virgin(un-searched) areas, most of the good stuff will be deep, and thus be a faint/weak signal often un-repeatable in all directions.

OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Thanks for the info guys! It is always interesting to see sort of a composite of what several experienced treasure hunters will say about a given subject. I'm sure it will all be very helpful once the ground thaws out! Anyone else out there: I would like as much input as possible! I need it!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey MDnoob,
Try this, as soon as it's warm enough to swing a coil, go over some frozen ground and note any signals that sound good. Mark the spots with a round pulltab that is clipped or otherwise mangled in a unique way by yourself. When the ground thaws, you'll have some targets laid out and ready.

I have done this before and noticed a real difference in depth. Some signals I could not get any reliable tone on when thawed and drier were very pronounced and clear when the ground was frozen.

To Eddie, Love that CZ-5, eh! I would get another one in a minute but I've grown used to the other CZ's (7/20) I have now. Have you heard of the modified CZ-5 coming out soon. Called the CZ-3D, it's uses an enhanced model of the existing signal processing scheme to get real depth and target separation unequaled. If the early reports are true, this will be the mother of all detectors so far. Check further at:
http://www.findmall.com/metal/czschool/config.pl?read=2522

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I agree with the attitude of digging it all until you know what is what.

Alot of the "tricks" like how to tell coins from cans (ie. if I get a strong signal I lift the coil 2 inches, if the signal doesn't change it's most likely a soda can) and the like are only learned by doing.

If you have a yard available make a test pit with various objects marked or gridded in some way and test the results.

I recommend the following items at varying depths (try to keep them 16" apart or so.. the only real limit is how much dirt you have).

Clad Coins flat and on their sides
Small Gold (ie, go get a junky 14k ring, and an earring, A rice-grain sized nugget is a good target too)
Small Silver (as above)
A few Silver coins (You can get really cheap silver at a coin shop, just ask to see their worst silver coins, they're more than happy to get rid of them)
Pulltabs
Soda Can
Other Misc Metal Objects (Tokens from an arcade, scraps of metal, toy cars, etc.)

And be creative about it.. Some folks dump iron nails in their test bed. Others put quarters right next to big chunks of iron or Pulltabs to simulate difficult circumstances.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread