Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Threestud said:
I have the ace 350 and love it I have found all kinds of stuff but do u
Guys still dig when the it shows a pull tab 5 cents . I have a bunch
Of tabs I have dug am I the only one that digs when it gets a hit or do
U not dig ?

Nah... you don't want to dig'um... you want to leave the gold for the rest of us... ;D

Seriously, dig those signals, the VDI for gold is in that range. If you discriminate out those signals, you run a good chance of missing the gold.

OP
OP
T

Threestud

Greenie
Apr 27, 2011
I dig them but just kinda wondering if I was the only
One . No gold yet but to me I couldn't sleep
Thinkin I didnt dig it And miss the chance at gold

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
If it beeps theres metal under there. :icon_thumright:
Time of day, location, My energy level, my bowels, weather, bugs, etc… My answer changes when these factors change.
I'd like to just say dig everything but in the long run it wouldn't be as effective. I think. :icon_profileright:

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've tested multiple gold and silver rings.

I've had silver rings come up as nickles or quarters and gold come up as pulltab, penny, nickle and quarters.

It depends on the amount of gold and the size of the ring.

The more gold and larger the ring the larger the footprint it has. A detector unfortunately can't tell the difference between a ring and a pulltab. They just tell you that something pulltab like or nicklelike is under your coil.

I dig everything. I've had signals change mid dig because they are deep and you get a clearer reading as you remove dirt over the target.

I start digging a pulltab and end up digging a dime for instance.

OP
OP
T

Threestud

Greenie
Apr 27, 2011
Thanks guys my wife thinks I'm nuts for digging
What I do she can't under stand when it says pulltab
Why dig it it's junk of course I tell her diggings the thrill
I have found stuff that has blew me a way with the ace 350
Of course I started with a whites coin master the old
Squack box then a bounty hunter and now this ace 350
Wow is all I can say . I can't wate to get the next level

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on how much fun you want to have. By not digging you never know what you could have gotten. When your wife wonders why you dig junk, ask her how many pairs of shoes does she need when she can only wear two at a time and they gotta match......... :laughing7:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ah, the curse of the TID screen! >:(

It's always trying to get you to doubt whether or not to dig. That's why I refuse to use them anymore. They're also pretty inaccurate. If you get 50% accuracy, you're doing well.

If you don't dig pulltabs and foil, you will not dig any gold except maybe the largest rings out there.

I'd humbly suggest you try something. The next time you go hunting, set your discrimination, then find a way to cover your TID screen, and then hunt solely by sound where you dig all those solid repeatable signals.

At the end of the day, look at finds and see whether or not you dug more good stuff by ignoring the screen.

I'll bet you probably will. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
T

Threestud

Greenie
Apr 27, 2011
I will give it a try , I have whent out at night and
Couldn't see the screen just playing around and found it
Very different lol

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
Re: To dig or not ?? Of course YOU DIG!

Pulltabs are a sign that 1. people were there (possible losing stuff) and 2. others with detectors passed them over and left the jewelry for you! Most of my gold jewelry (90%) started off as a pulltab. All of my jewelry has been a SURPRISE. My silver jewelry mostly hit from dime to dollar and my gold hit from foil to pulltab. And it was all 3" or less. I use the ACE 250 for parks.

OP
OP
T

Threestud

Greenie
Apr 27, 2011
I have yet to find a ring with the ace 350 but
I see what ur saying about the I d jumping around
Was next to a old house yesterday and found a bunch
Of copper nails and my meter was all over the place

biggstile

Mar 4, 2011
Burnsville, MN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Whites Buillseye II Pinpointer
I do because I am not thrilled with pennies and would dig a thousand pull tabs for one piece of gold anything, but I still wimp out sometimes in dirt, and prefer good old SAND sifting! Pulltabs take seconds that way!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread