SB637.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 282
Upvote 0

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whats interesting to know about the old hydraulic mine sites with their billboards and walking trails highlighting the devastation done by miners. Is that previous generations preserved them as a living history lesson of sorts. Im sure they didn't intend them to be a right or wrong statement, but a lesson to be learned from and a nod to our industrious nature that has shaped our nation.
The irony of these examples of "permanently" scarred landscapes set in amongst the surrounding "pristine virgin forests" with their huge "old growth" timber, is that if you look up pictures of the time when these sites were in operation 100 plus years ago, you'd realize that the surrounding forests were treeless towns supporting populations of up to 5000 folks. The trees had all been cut and cleared to build the towns and provide the lumber for the buildings and miles and miles of water works needed to operate the mines. So if you ever get to go see one of these historical landmarks, look around and see the whole picture, not the highlighted version the current villanizing generation wants you to see. Despite our arrogance and best efforts of preservation and reclamation, when left alone mother nature always seems to reclaim the land and erase any trace of us.

Funny how that works, isn't it? Breckenridge, Colorado has a mining history with lots of old dredges. There were lots of tailings left along the creeks and rivers. We used to hear about how terrible miners were to have torn up the area so badly and what an eyesore it was. So when gold first hit $800/oz., folks I knew drove up to Breckenridge and loaded their trucks with tailings (not the huge rocks, but smaller stuff), took it home and worked it. Piles of tailings were reduced but did that please them? Nope. Pretty soon, the city started complaining that we were destroying their heritage!

It then became illegal to cart away tailings.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the tailings and mine dumps created by the mine where I worked, and from several other adjacent mines (likely over a cubic mile of excavation in total), were moved to the valley floor they would create a huge earthen dam (10 or more miles across the valley) and hopefully, a lake if we ever get some rain. Could solve a couple of area problems...Eliminate complaints about "what eyesores they are" and flood out the homes of the NIMBYS who moved there knowing they already existed and then complain about them!:occasion14: Green Valley, AZ, the new Atlantis!

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the tailings and mine dumps created by the mine where I worked, and from several other adjacent mines (likely over a cubic mile of excavation in total), were moved to the valley floor they would create a huge earthen dam (10 or more miles across the valley) and hopefully, a lake if we ever get some rain. Could solve a couple of area problems...Eliminate complaints about "what eyesores they are" and flood out the homes of the NIMBYS who moved there knowing they already existed and then complain about them!:occasion14: Green Valley, AZ, the new Atlantis!

We had that problem with the flying program at the Air Force Academy. Folks bought houses south of the runway, then complained about the light aircraft that kept flying over their houses. Idiots.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well a good place to start your research would be to read the law that pretty much stopped hydraulicing,

Here's that law Timberjack. It's still in effect.
California Public Resources Code
Section 3980-3985

3981. The business of hydraulic mining may be carried on within the
state wherever and whenever it can be carried on without material
injury to navigable streams or the lands adjacent thereto.

3982. "Hydraulic mining," as used in Section 3981, is mining by
means of the application of water, under pressure, through a nozzle,
against a natural bank.

As you can see it in no way "stopped hydraulic mining".

In addition to the California law shown above the federal California Debris Commission was established in 1893 to regulate hydraulic mining in the Sacramento and San Joaquin river drainages only. That commission operated until 1986 when it's duties were turned over to the Secretary of the Army. You can still submit a hydraulic mining plan to the Army for those two rivers.

Extensive hydraulic mining continued in the Sierra goldfields under the commission for another 30 years. Places like Sawyers bar were hydrauliced in the 1910 - 1920 period. Hydraulic mining was simply prevented from harming downstream property owners. That was a basic concept of American law and wasn't a new invention by the Sawyer court. The Sawyer decision was just upholding the existing laws on property damage - not banning hydraulic mining.

In 1911 there were 73 hydraulic mines operating in Siskiyou County alone. The most productive was Forks of the Salmon which continued to hydraulic mine until the 1970s.

Hydraulic mining was carried on in several states including California late into the 20th century. It is still legal to hydraulic and there never was a court decision or law banning hydraulic mining despite the drivel taught in California schools.

Here's a map of all the approved hydraulic debris dams in use in 1926 on the American, Yuba and Bear Rivers. It might help your prospecting research and it's a good demonstration that hydraulic mining was alive and well in California long after most people believe it was "outlawed". By my count there are about 38 debris dams on that map alone.

Hydraulic.jpg

It's not the most efficient method of mining, recovery rates are not great. It requires huge quantities of impounded water and expensive downstream impoundments. Eventually something has to be done with the extensive tailings buildup. It's still used in places like Alaska where downstream owners and water access isn't a big issue. Small operations aren't really a problem even in California as long as you have the right to the water and protect streambeds and downstream users.

Heavy Pans

rockbar

Oct 19, 2015
AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a video of an operation using a hydraulic monitor in the 1990's.

Also, in one of the Yukon Gold episodes, Cal uses one at his placer mine. That was only a couple of years ago.

They can be great tools to help excavate and move material.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
That is some lazy assed mining...........
I would love to be able to work these guys takings............

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all, there is still a licensed Hydraulic Permit in place at Big Bar, Ca in Trinity County. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a video of an operation using a hydraulic monitor in the 1990's.

Also, in one of the Yukon Gold episodes, Cal uses one at his placer mine. That was only a couple of years ago.

They can be great tools to help excavate and move material.

At 3:00, it looks like a giant Miller Table! Seriously tho, this video was critically important to educating me on an area I'm researching right now. Tyvm for posting!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions