Cheektowaga New York
Detector(s) used
whites Spectrum XLT E-Series

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin but you should never "clean" a coin. It always hurts the price in a collectors eyes.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SC_hunter said:
Nice coin but you should never "clean" a coin. It always hurts the price in a collectors eyes.

LOL I'll let Don in SJ reply to that comment....

Generally I stop the peroxide process if it looks like I'm losing patina--which would've happened anyhow if water were used.

Peroxide method varies, but it is still one of the mildest of cleaning methods--and actually better than water on the coin in most cases--Yes, water IS a cleaning method.

Got a photo of your coin?

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
I

ICE ADDICT

Aug 15, 2007
Cheektowaga New York
Detector(s) used
whites Spectrum XLT E-Series
Sorry BB no photo, I don't have the means for that motion YET.

I understand the no cleaning theory, but what good does a crudded up coin do anybody?? I can't see a collector wanting to pay anything for a coin in such bad dug condition, unless of course it's a key or very rare.

Maybe I'm wrong!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ICE ADDICT said:
Sorry BB no photo, I don't have the means for that motion YET.

I understand the no cleaning theory, but what good does a crudded up coin do anybody?? I can't see a collector wanting to pay anything for a coin in such bad dug condition, unless of course it's a key or very rare.

Maybe I'm wrong!!

I'm not advocating leaving it cruddy--I always use peroxide for ground-found coppers, but if it is losing patina, I stop the process before it all comes off. Usually at that point, it is possible to ID the coin anyhow--which is very important. Silvers are another matter entirely...

-Buckleboy

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
SC_hunter said:

Regards,

Buckleboy

I will just refer to my quote at the bottom of all my posts, it is from a top colonial coin collector.

"The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

Don

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
SC_hunter said:

Generally I stop the peroxide process if it looks like I'm losing patina--which would've happened anyhow if water were used.

Peroxide method varies, but it is still one of the mildest of cleaning methods--and actually better than water on the coin in most cases--Yes, water IS a cleaning method.

Got a photo of your coin?

Regards,

Buckleboy

Hi Buckleboy, can you explain to me what the peroxide method is? (is the explanation somewhere here on the forum?)

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ICE ADDICT said:
I just cleaned a gorgeous 1867 Indian head in peroxide, while it worked nicely in removing all oxidation and bring out all the AU detail,the process also removed the nice green patina which I always liked. My question is; does the patina make the coin more attractive and possibly add value or does it make no difference?

Thanx for any replies..

No collector in the world wants a 150 year copper coin that blinks in the sun. Then want it with a nice old patina on it.
That is the first wish from a collector, the other is that it HAS NOT BEEN CLEANED (then you get top dollar, believe me).

S

seger98

I'm with buckleboy on this one, I clean until I think I've gone far enough. I don't think it hurts the value of the coin.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woody50 said:
No collector in the world wants a 150 year copper coin that blinks in the sun. Then want it with a nice old patina on it.
That is the first wish from a collector, the other is that it HAS NOT BEEN CLEANED (then you get top dollar, believe me).

For collectors of colonial coins, and early state-issued American coppers, this is untrue. If the coin is a rare enough variety, it will have significant value. Case in point, hogge's King George III copper likely made him over $10,000 richer. Uncleaned, the coin would not have sold for nearly as much.

Cleaning a dug copper in a responsible (and mild) way will enhance it's collector value.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,

whats the best way to clean silver?..gregg

I'm not advocating leaving it cruddy--I always use peroxide for ground-found coppers, but if it is losing patina, I stop the process before it all comes off. Usually at that point, it is possible to ID the coin anyhow--which is very important. Silvers are another matter entirely...

-Buckleboy
[/quote]

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting