To Polish or Not To Polish, Sterling Hairbrush Question

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out hunting this morning and missed what I really wanted but ended up finding this instead. I think I paid about 10.00 for it and was surprised to find hallmarks other then just Sterling.

The maker turned out to be Whiting Mfg and since it lacks a date code, it appears to have been made prior to 1905.

My question is this: should I polish it and clean it up prior to selling or leave it as-is? I already brushed out a golf ball sized pile of lint/fuzz from the bristles and it's looking better but a polishing would really make it shine.

I'd hate to ruin the value but I don't want to have it look unappealing to possible buyers.

Does anybody has some info as to what to do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    710.4 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    653.8 KB · Views: 98

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find bigcaddy!! It actually a Victorian clothing brush. I have two of them! As far as polishing, yes!! Polish that baby up! You won't hurt the value at all. Sterling is one of the few metals that is acceptable to polish even as antiques. If you go to any good art or history museum that has a collection of silver, notice the shine. Like a mirror!! Here's a pic of one of mine at my last yard sale from October. Great find!!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455320657.623608.jpg

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no issues with polishing silver. It is acceptable on all silver items.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, all done. A little bit of "body work" and some polish made the brush look pretty nice. I might go further to get all the black off but most is in the low spots and is really on there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    662 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    534.8 KB · Views: 89

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
There is a fine line between polishing a piece & going too far. On older more ornate pieces the tarnish highlights the design & makes it stand out. The goal is to polish the flat areas & the raised portion of the design leaving the tarnish in the "cracks".

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a fine line between polishing a piece & going too far. On older more ornate pieces the tarnish highlights the design & makes it stand out. The goal is to polish the flat areas & the raised portion of the design leaving the tarnish in the "cracks".

Great information. I would have got a qtip and worked to get the tarnish off the low spot. Makes sense what you have told us.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are just beautiful and I think you did a fine job on cleaning it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread