To sell or not to sell...

Ben-Ro

May 18, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Question for all your experienced CRHers out there:

As some of you may or may not know, when I first started in this hobby (about 3 months ago), upon my 2nd acquisition of any kind of half dollars I bought 6 solid rolls of 40%ers out of a teller drawer. I have now graduated from just CWR to doing a box of halves at a time, with minimal success.

The question: Should I sell the 40%ers that I found early on to increase my bank roll for searching boxes, or do I ascribe to the old proverb "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"?

Discuss (and thanks.)

Upvote 0

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say it depends on what you want to do long term. Silver is on a downward slide right now so if you plan on saving your silver for a long time (I'm in my twenties and I plan on holding onto mine until I retire or if silver spikes to $300 an ounce) I would say try to find the capital some other way. If you want a quick buck then yes, flip your 40% coins and put it toward more CRH if you have the time and means.

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, the most you may get for them is $3 each and that's on the high end from what some people post on here.

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got $3.48 last weekend... but i think my 100 halves completed his bag (Refiners pay slightly more for complete $1000 face bags)

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a coin show last weekend buying silver and one vendor was buying 40%'ers for $3.50. So with this in mind, if you sell 60 for 3.50 you will receive $210. That will not even buy you half of a case of halves. Yes, I know once you go through them you can dump them but you may be giving up 60 40%'ers for a chance.
I don't think holding silver is a chance because it will go up. We experienced this upward climb last year and it will happen soon.

With CRH, the more you do - the more you get. You're time will come!

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I wouldn't sell just to increase a bankroll. But that's just me.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I would only sell them to get .999 silver or gold. Otherwise, hold on to them, too hard to come by as it is.

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not a mega-searched, but I search $10k a week. I just sold a bunch of silver in May to put cash back in my nest egg & CRH with profits. Sold 33oz, got $900. Replaced the $1k from savings.

I think the key is where has your current bank roll from & what level you want to search, what you can handle dumping a day, etc. If you are at a level where you can barely keep up with pickups and dumps, you are good. I turn over between $1000-$1500 dump & buy daily. I am at my max for now. I am considering selling some 40%'s to get the $1500 bank roll. That's 2 boxes of halves and 2 boxes of dimes each day. Turn em & burn em.

You could always get on a budget & start saving up for a bigger bank roll in a few months. Then you get to keep the silver and get the silver. From what I hear summer has less results than fall & winter hunting. Happy hunting! - JJ

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
My philosophy is if I get it silver at face, I save it until it makes a new record (EX: Over $50). What I did last April when it hit $50, I watched it for three days, and when it started slowly going down 3 days straight and go to $48 something, I sold then. It went up once, then dropped all the way to $37 that summer. So I lost $2 an ounce, however it was easiest to do if I wanted to get the most $$. I would of hated to cash out, then it go to $100 or something an ounce.

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually if I was going to Atlantic City I would trade in a bunch of 40% halves for cash since I could triple my money playing blackjack :laughing7:

OP
OP
Ben-Ro

Ben-Ro

May 18, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I currently ($27/oz) get $3.50 per 40% coin from my coin dealer; $3.60 if I trade towards something else.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would only sell if you are going to trade up for something right now.

If you need cash this is a terrible time to sell, especially if its just to "increase your bank roll". I would get a 2nd job of any kind, even washing dishes if that is all you want $$ for. Let the silver ride!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread