To those asking How do I find a cache

Relic2010

Greenie
Jun 28, 2011
Everywhere
To those asking 'How do I find a cache'

I've come across a lot of questions whilst scouring the forums like 'How do I find a cache?', which are fair enough. The question, however, isn't really a useful one, in my opinion. I think it's too general and vague. There are many different kinds of caches. In order to find an answer to how to find any one of these, you have to specify details. Be specific and get clear on what exactly you want to find. The clearer you are as to your goals, the more chance you have at succeeding in them. So let's look at variations in caches: classic gold miner's cache, fur trapper's cache, native american or indigenous caches, bandit caches, military caches, pirate caches, ancient caches, etc. Not all caches are treasure. Some are caches of religious artifacts. This sort of questioning and/or consideration had got to be your starting point. From there, you know exactly what it is you're looking for and can plan out research and any action to be taken. As treasure hunters, we've got to think about the quality of the questions we ask. Good research, which is the cornerstone of treasure hunting, is all about asking the right sort of questions, not just many of them. Quality over quantity. Ask good quality questions, and you'll end up with good quality research. Does anyone have any opinions on this topic. I'd love to hear any ideas. I'm really interested in research methodologies when it comes to treasure hunting. I believe that a good methodology can actually be abstract enough to be able to work for any culture or time period. Let me know what you think guys.

cutbait chunker

Tenderfoot
Jun 26, 2011
west tx
Re: To those asking 'How do I find a cache'

good afternoon relic
i totally agree . caches are in the eye of the beholder.
since ive found this forum i have learned so much .
it has made relook at things and ask questions to myself that i thought i had answers to already
for instance i live in a house that was built in the early 20's i've done alot of remodeling and was sure
there couldnt be any thing hidden .
well i was wrong i found a hidden small fireplace 2 days ago behind a wall that looked natural to the rest of the house

upon further investgating ther were still ashes in the bottom that i cleaned out
and the bottom didnt sound right when the tool i was using was hitting the bottom

come to find out the bricks were loose and came out with a little persuasion under them i found

drum roll please
6 buffalo nickels late 20's early 30's
4 merc. dimes " " " "
1 standing liberty quarter 1928

all in pretty bad shape some i could barely read the date
but i consider this a cache find
my first ever . and all because i found this forum
cache hunting is not knew to me i've had the fever for years
i bought a metal detector and i've used it quite a bit over the years no real big finds mostly clad coins .

the county here in tx were i live has a lot of old i mean old farms with house and barns falling down. and every one of them i drive buy every time i drive buy makes me go uh uh like john travolta on welcome back kotter

the point is i agree with you .
you never know were your going to find a cache
you just have to have a starting point and direction you want to go

thanks for reading my rambling
chunker

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Congratulations on your cache find, Cutbait.

I think, when hunting caches, the first thing you must do is "be aware of your surroundings". By doing so, you were able to notice something few others noticed, and as a direct result you found the goodies.

Now you need to ask yourself: "Is that all there is?" and "If there is more, where is it?"

Good Luck!

I think the above relates to Relic2010 as well. Even in Early American caches, look for the thing that seem somehow out of place. There's likely a reason you notice them.

You'd be surprised how many people walk over treasure every day, but don't notice it. Truffles, meteorites, artifacts, relics, caches, minerals, gems ... need I go on?

Tau44

Nov 10, 2009
Western Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Xterra 705

ok i have been one to ask that question before. i guess it is vague because i don't know really what to ask. let me be more specific.

if you wanted to find a civil war cache, how do you began your research. i guess that is the hardest part where to start?

i can't figure out how to start the research process. i think it would be neat if we would all work together to start a part 1 part 2 and part 3 on research. like a road map that would someone could follow to do research on a particular subject.

Rowsby

Jul 18, 2011

Here are some ideas of where to start looking for caches.....in the old days people would often bury small caches of their valuable items such as coins. The best areas for hunting for these types of caches are old agricultural lands. In colonial times, it was safer to bury your precious goods than leave them in the homestead. So as a start you should research where old colonial homesteads might have been. Look for "marker trees" and search around them for example.
Former agricultural land is a great place to look, but you can also look at lands currently under agriculture.

Unnatural looking objects or features in the environment that don’t fit in with the rest of the local environment are often signs of previous human habitation from many years ago. Investigate anything unusual that doesn’t look like it belongs in the current environment and wasn’t formed naturally by wind or rain.

Research old maps in your local library - if you explore along old roads, keep an eye out for particularly ancient trees and especially larger, lone trees. Large trees often served as prominent farm markers in the old days and many of these huge old trees still survive today. If you find one, search the area around the tree with great attention and thoroughness. In the past, individuals would sometimes bury caches of coins or other treasures next to these marker trees (hoping to return later and dig them up again). Often they never made it back due to unforeseen circumstances and those treasures might still be waiting for you to dig them up.
Stone walls are also excellent spots to search along – sometimes people dropped coins along these walls or also hid hoards of valuables there. Search thoroughly in all the little crevices.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Tau44 said:
ok i have been one to ask that question before. i guess it is vague because i don't know really what to ask. let me be more specific.

if you wanted to find a civil war cache, how do you began your research. i guess that is the hardest part where to start?

i can't figure out how to start the research process. i think it would be neat if we would all work together to start a part 1 part 2 and part 3 on research. like a road map that would someone could follow to do research on a particular subject.
There are leads everywhere. In books. Magazines. Newspapers. Online. Libraries. Archives. Choose one and begin.

I have said before and will continue to say the most important piece of information on any cache to have is WHO hid it? Get a name. Without a name the chances of finding a cache are at best slim to none. Researching people is relatively easy, even if they have been dead for hundreds of years.

If you don't have a name associated with a cache or treasure lead, pass it up. It wastes your time almost always.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread