Today and Electrolysis

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Today is gloomy and gray outside. It has tried to rain several times but did I stay home. NOPE It is the last day of the month and I wanted one more try at getting another ring. Did I get it? NOPE I didn't get much of anything at all. I did get a bangle bracelet & 59 cents. My total rings for this month was 22. Not all are good but whoopee anyway!

MoneynJunk063009.jpg

OK no matter. I just went home and put together the electolysis gadget and tried my hand at cleaning that coin I found yesterday. It was the worst corroded coin I've ever found and I was sure that it was going to be something good. According to the instructions it said to leave the coin in the solution about 15 minutes but that it would start bubbling right away. It did and the water was turning black pretty quick. After the 15 minutes I took it out and a lot of the corrosion had come off but not near as much as I thought it would. So I tried it again for another 15 minutes with clean solution. It still did not come out as good as I thought it would. I've seen coins that others have done and they looked great. Well I can definitely tell what it is now. It is a 1968 quarter. So nothing real spectacular. Perhaps I didn't do it right but it was the first time I've tried to do this so maybe I'll get better.

Coin062909.jpg

After 2 times in the solution

CoinAfter.jpg

Upvote 0

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mumszie:

The solution is important but controlling the current is the most important. What are you using as a solution. An old model train transformer is the best I've found for controlling the current. It's a lot cheaper then the set ups you find around.

Deepsix

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mumszie said:
Just a glass of water with a teaspoon of salt and a few drops of lemon juice according to the directions.

That works and is pretty simple. You might want to rig up an Electrolysis bath though. It will clean and preserve most anything you put in it from coins to cannon balls, cannon and anchors. Your only real limitation is the size of the tank you use. We used a plastic swimming pool to do an old anchor one time.

Deepsix

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If you don't mind risking the quarter, put it back into the solution and place it so the obverse is close enough to the edge of the glass to monitor the progress, then allow the process to be controlled by observation rather than time..... :)

Best of luck.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepsix, do you have any pics of the bath and can you post directions on how to make one. I have a small unit right now that is only good for coins. I really need one that size, but not a clue how to make it.
Thanks

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
Hi, I'm not sure from the pictures, but it looks like you might have the polarity of the wires wrong.

Remember, the electrode goes to the side of the container using the positive (+) (anode) alligator clip. The coin to be cleaned goes to the jaws of the negative (-) (cathode) alligator clip. If the wires are reversed, you'll end up depositing (plating) the coin with the metal from the electrode as it dissolves from use.

Also, stay away from stainless steel. It's listed on numerous websites as safe and it may seem that the electrodes don't dissolve, but Chromium is being dissolved into the water and it's highly toxic!

If you must do this, "MAKE SURE" to do it in a "WELL VENTILATED" area as the fumes are not safe to breathe and can be explosive too!!!

Just thought this info might help!

Thanks!!!

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
txkickergirl said:
Deepsix, do you have any pics of the bath and can you post directions on how to make one. I have a small unit right now that is only good for coins. I really need one that size, but not a clue how to make it.
Thanks

I'll try to get some pictures of my setup this weekend. Until then though, these two sites will help you out.

http://www.dirtyoldcoins.com/restore/electrolysis.html

http://www.tomstreasures.com/elec.htm

I personally use soda ash as suggested in the second article. You can make your tank any size that you need. Controlling your current is the key. I use one of the old model train transformers. You can find them at flea markets and garage sales for a couple of dollars. The Fishers also have a site that shows the tank and how to set it up.

Deepsix

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread