Today I Hunted Extra Long

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I had high hopes with the MXT Pro with my newly acquired 5.3 search coil attached. I decided to hunt some older trashy sites that I've hit before to see if could find some silver coins that I might have missed using a smaller search coil. That plan didn't work out so well, so I found some virgin ground to swing my search coil. It like to have killed me, because the area was too large for the search small coil that I had brought. I had to do a lot of swinging!

Any how every time that I got worn down and was getting ready to call it a day I'd find another wheat penny to spur me on some more. I ended up finding 14 wheat pennies The oldest one was minted in 1920. Towards the end of the hunt, I finally got my search coil over a 1918 D Mercury dime. It wasn't long after that I headed for the house.

I really needed my Detech 5x10 search coil today for the last site that I detected since it was such an large area. My spare lower rod for it arrived in the mail today, so I won't get caught using a too small of a search coil again for the job.

tabman

Attachments

• IMG_0215.JPG
    IMG_0215.JPG
    744 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0216.JPG
    IMG_0216.JPG
    418 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    322.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0220.JPG
    IMG_0220.JPG
    304.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Upvote 22

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go on being persistent on finding the sometimes elusive silver. For me the wheats are just as elusive as the silver sometimes. Congrats.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice old coin shooting, congratulations! :occasion14:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the hunt! the silver bandit has struck again.

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good hunt. A lot of old coins and a silver. Those small coils will wear you out if used in too big of an area...been there myself. :laughing7:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like finding wheat cause silver is usually near nice Merc

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going tabman :occasion14:

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Everyone! I've been tied up lately with a few things that needed to get done. And to top it all off I might be coming down with the flue. My wife got it from our granddaughter at Christmas. I really hope my wife doesn't give it to me.

tabman

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice merc--nice and clean. Your persistence paid off. And that's a lot wheats to find in one hunt. Congrats.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice merc--nice and clean. Your persistence paid off. And that's a lot wheats to find in one hunt. Congrats.

Thanks! I just noticed that my wheat penny to clad ratio was extremely good. If I'd had the correct search coil with me, I would have saved a lot of swinging. If I had gotten the lower rod a day earlier I would have it attached to the spare search coil and ready for action. You just never know when the game plan is going to change.

tabman

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Tabman. It's great that you're still able to get out. I do love Mercurys and that 1918 looks to be in great shape.
Congratulations

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you did a hell of a job working that small coil on that big canvas. Iโ€™ve been there it feels like coloring a poster with a Bic pen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread