Today is NOT my day.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I got a GW jar; full of worthless junk.

I called another one; it isn't out yet. I call again a little while later; they sold it.

I go to the one near me. I usually go in the store first. Today I stopped to drop off a jar. I tell the guys hanging around that I've been really disappointed with what they are putting in the jars. They tell me that they are hearing that from other people. I walk into the store. There is one jar there. I ask if that is the one from yesterday. Yup. But, get this. I just missed the jar. They sold the other one TWO MINS before I walked in. AND ... it had a diamond ring in it. ARRRGHHHHH!

I keep telling myself it wasn't meant to be. The last GW said they aren't putting out any jars this week cuz they have very little jewelry.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't you try to spy something in the jar before you buy it, to see if there is anything in it that makes it worth buying? Or are these jars not see through? These jars aren't cheap are they?

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a GW jar; full of worthless junk.

I called another one; it isn't out yet. I call again a little while later; they sold it.

I go to the one near me. I usually go in the store first. Today I stopped to drop off a jar. I tell the guys hanging around that I've been really disappointed with what they are putting in the jars. They tell me that they are hearing that from other people. I walk into the store. There is one jar there. I ask if that is the one from yesterday. Yup. But, get this. I just missed the jar. They sold the other one TWO MINS before I walked in. AND ... it had a diamond ring in it. ARRRGHHHHH!

I keep telling myself it wasn't meant to be. The last GW said they aren't putting out any jars this week cuz they have very little jewelry.

How do you/they know there was a diamond ring in it?

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Digg, yeah, I look. But you have to understand that all the really good stuff is hidden inside, where you can't really see. I've gotten so much gold hidden inside. Which is why I will take a chance from time to time. I've gotten burned a few times.

Joe, I'm guessing she opened it in the store. I opened one in there recently to give the clerk a pin she liked. The cashiers told me that one time two ladies bought a jar each. They opened their jars and switched earrings, since they each had one. And the cashier told me another time about a woman who got a Tiffany in a jar. I told her it was probably fake. She said it wasn't; she had it verified. My friend has gotten a Tiffany, and the store I was in today also put out a Tiffany once. So far, I haven't been that lucky. (I did get a Yurman in a jar once.)

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like drawing attention to one's self! Hey everyone look what I found!!! The cashiers will eventually wise up, no?

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Nothing like drawing attention to one's self! Hey everyone look what I found!!! The cashiers will eventually wise up, no?

Uh, YEAH! Which is why I am having problems. The manager at this store "knows jewelry", and she pulls out all the gold and silver to sell separately. I like to get the jars when she doesn't make them. I hate when these idiots tell them what they found.

I get the cashiers asking me, do I have a store, and what do I do with all that jewelry. (Truthfully, it's really none of their business!)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just wondering where all the jewelry that gets donated down here goes to. Because it sure isn't in their stores. The next time I go to Goodwill and the Salvation Army, I'll take a pic and show you what I mean. Jewelry is virtually non existant. The amount of jewelry in one of these places wouldn't fill a mason jar. There are several million people down here. Retirement central. You can't tell me there isn't any jewelry coming in to these places. I wonder what the deal is?

ps- and i'm not talking just the good jewelry either, i'm talking across the board, good, bad, and ugly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The far out GW still has none. No jars at the two local ones. At the last stop today, they said they would bring one out to me. I hung around for a half hour, and then the woman comes out and said she can't close it; she doesn't have enough. I WANT THAT JAR! She is the one who doesn't pull the gold out.

Digg, check the GW site. I think they say where they are from. Maybe they are ONLY putting their stuff online? Is there a central number you can call and ask what they do with donated jewelry? (Ask like you want to make a donation and understand what they do with it.)

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The far out GW still has none. No jars at the two local ones. At the last stop today, they said they would bring one out to me. I hung around for a half hour, and then the woman comes out and said she can't close it; she doesn't have enough. I WANT THAT JAR! She is the one who doesn't pull the gold out.

Ever thought about a 12 step program? =)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions