Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
took the Eldorado today...

Early one with glossy labels and anodized poles. Truly a mint Eldorado, glad it found a good home:)

...and it's a joy to use! I really like playing with the Eldorado. ^_^

Thought I'd give it some excercise today, since my Vaquero's off to the spa..(just sent to Tesoro for a massage).

Went to an old campground I hadn't been to before, and it's been a camp area for over 100 years. Found lots of trash, a couple spoons...and all these coins - in ONE campsite - ! Nothing older than early '60s, but there's always next time. There are over two dozen sites to check there...maybe I'll find something better when I go back.
A crusty old camper there, told me of a couple closed up camps a few miles away; said they'd closed years ago. Maybe I'll get to them before summer ends.

image.jpeg

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eldorado @ a totlot today..

No jewelry today unless you count the funky skull thing, but someone left me a Gerber pocket knife and plenty of quarters. Nice thing about totlots is that they're not nearly as trashy as the camp spots I usually do. I can run the disc low and I'm happy to remove nails, screws and wire. Don't know how that crap gets in a play area anyway. I'm bound to find gold eventually... ^_^

image.jpeg

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image.jpeg

Just cleaned off the spoons I dug at the old camp a couple days ago. This one is a silverplate Rogers Bros. pattern known as "adoration", apparently from 1939.

I've dug up a few spoons since I started detecting. This one's the most interesting, so far. I think I'll make a wind chime from the uglier ones.. ^_^

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds and read-a-long of your outings! Any chance you can post some pics of making your own headphones you mentioned?

Thanks. I don't post after every outing... I think I'd bore people. Last trip out though, I brought home two more wheaties and over $7 in coins. All from one campground, and searching just two sites there. Wish I could run the disc lower, but then I'd be excavating the entire site... Tabs, caps and foil balls everywhere. I have over two dozen sites left to go there.. Maybe after I clean out more of the shallow coins, I'll go back and run disc lower to dig tabs.. ^_^

I still haven't put my own headphones together, just bought a few parts. Need a good cable, volume pot and a couple more bits. I'll put up some pics when I get around to doing 'em. Meanwhile, I'm out with my Killer B's, and they're working great. They really sound good with my high tone Vaquero. I'll have to wait 'till next week to try out my latest detecting toys; the high tone modded V, and my new Lesche digger with Bomb sheath. ^_^

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another tot lot today...

...and I found the usual few bits of clad, plus this Triton wedding band made of tungsten carbide. Not sure why anyone would buy one of these, but I guess it'll never scratch! Used my Tesoro Silver Sabre microMAX here, with the 8" chocolate donut. Not the best coil for getting close to iron poles, but this ring was in the right spot. ^_^

image.jpeg

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't added to these posts for a while... Been finding lots of clad, a few old pennies and some junk jewelry lately.
I dug this cool token today, in an old park though. Sadly (stupidly), I scratched it with the digger I'd just resharpened...

Anyone seen this one before? A web search turned up zip on this one.

IMG_0266.JPG
IMG_0267.JPG

Found with an old Silver Sabre microMAX, BTW. ^_^

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vaquero (high-tone) / 5.75" concentric...

Took my high-tone Vaquero/5.75c out for a couple hours before sunset. Tried a different place that I know has been around for a while, but I hadn't taken a detector up there 'till this afternoon... Found a wheatie and small silver, along with the usual pocket change...and half of a CEC token. Wierd, but I've found one CEC token, each of the last four or five times out!

I think I'll take another trip up there in a few days. Not expecting anything really old from that place, but I think there's more silver up there... ^_^

IMG_0324.JPG
IMG_0325.JPG

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...went back today..

Took the Vaquero/5.75c back to an old camp area again today... Pulled about $5 face value in mostly clad, but found my second silver Rosie and two more wheaties... Rosie's a '62 and one of the wheaties a 1920s! I'll head back up there next weekend, along with a bigger coil. I found the old stuff under a big oak tree, a bit away from the actual camp. Not too much trash under the tree, so maybe I can get away with the bigger coil.. ^_^

IMG_0327.JPG

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Took the Outlaw today..

..found another silver Rosie (a '48s), some clad, junk chain with watch and a cool rock that looks like amethyst (?). The rock was wrapped in string and ribbon, all tangled with the fake gold chain. Weird stuff people do... Anyway, happy to find another silver dime. There's more where that came from; just need to get the coil over it. ^_^

IMG_0341.JPG
IMG_0343.JPG
IMG_0344.JPG

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes i have the book. It is a great read, over and over again!

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My second tungsten ring this year...

Found today along with about $3 in clad and the usual trash. Using Vaquero with 5.75 concentric.
Still not sure why people would buy tungsten rings; wish it could have been silver, as this one fits me (not that I'd wear rings anyway).

IMG_0351.JPG

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't forgotten your Merc, just haven' sent it yet. I'm old and slow. Nice ring find! :occasion14:

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't forgotten your Merc, just haven' sent it yet. I'm old and slow. Nice ring find! :occasion14:

Thanks!
No problem, no rush. I'm rarely in any hurry myself; on mountain time, these days. ^_^

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found today along with about $3 in clad and the usual trash. Using Vaquero with 5.75 concentric.
Still not sure why people would buy tungsten rings; wish it could have been silver, as this one fits me (not that I'd wear rings anyway).

View attachment 1386826

Lol, I have many tungsten carbide rings. They shatter if squeezed so they won't cush and pinch your ginger, they won't scratch because aside from a diamond nothing can scratch them really.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
another 925 silver ring..

..found today with the Outlaw/8" donut. Disc was set right between foil and nickel, but this still came in strong with disc thumbed up. Was about 3" down in mud (snow's now gone), found near the top of a sled run. LOTS of hot rocks in that area, but they gave a distinctive sound, so I didn't want to dial 'em out by going too positive on the GB.

IMG_0491.JPG

My sixth 925 with the Outlaw, but first one for this year. Had only 'bout an hour out this afternoon, then got rainy so went back home. Found this one just up the road from me.
Still has tarnish on it; just rinsed off the mud.
Any guess as to the stone? Looks almost clear/white, but a slight bluish-purple tint.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pinenut, perhaps you need to write a book. Where you live must be kind of a magical place. The treasure you find is pretty impressive to this newbee.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Vern. I'm in an interesting area, but...

Pinenut, perhaps you need to write a book. Where you live must be kind of a magical place. The treasure you find is pretty impressive to this newbee.

..where YOU live is the magical place, and any of us here could have found the things I have found...by getting there before me. Any Tesoro we have can see a silver ring three inches down, but not everyone here would be willing to detect up the length of a muddy sled run in the forest, all the way to the top, then happen to swing their coil over it. It's a combination of luck, a little research, effort, and knowing your detector. I'm no expert but I'm often persistent, and occasionally, lucky.

I see other folk's finds on these forums and feel like a complete chump with my little silver ring find. But, I do know that when I'm lucky enough to get my coil over the right spot, something good may pop up... Persistence and luck. Still waiting for those old US coins which seem to be around YOUR area, Vern. Once you find some, you'll laugh at my silly silver rings.

I have just been posting a few interesting finds in this thread. If you saw my bucket o' tabs, many crusty and broken Hot Wheels, bullet shells and lead (have a collection of dropped, unfired ammo) garbage kid's jewelry, old light bulb bases... I dig my share of crap, too.

To anyone reading this: your Tesoro will find it all... It's just a matter of getting out there, and to the right spots. You won't be digging good finds with your detector in the closet.

:tongue3:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
..found another silver Rosie (a '48s), some clad, junk chain with watch and a cool rock that looks like amethyst (?). The rock was wrapped in string and ribbon, all tangled with the fake gold chain. Weird stuff people do... Anyway, happy to find another silver dime. There's more where that came from; just need to get the coil over it. ^_^

View attachment 1381135
View attachment 1381136
View attachment 1381137

Did your detector pick up this amthyst 'hot' rock? Might be the same stone on your ring you found yesterday?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread