todays 2 brinks boxes

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
today's 2 brinks boxes

were skunks. only a few weeks left and i am going to throw in the towel (for a while anyway). problem is i am going to have to find something to fill the time void. can't afford another hobby that does not generate money or at least pay for itself.
did have an idea i think i am going to try. got it from a tv show i watched last night called storage wars. groups of people travel around and go to these auctions where contents of storage buildings are sold to the highest bidder. they then resale the items on ebay, craigslist or at flea markets. some make a hefty profit and some lose there @*#. think it might be fun to try anyway.

Upvote 0

grampa

Nov 27, 2008
Re: today's 2 brinks boxes

i saw that show on sunday morning and also was hooked... while searching for local auctions i ran into an estate sale ... went there immediately.... unfortunately i missed a lot of the good items as it was open the on saturday

still got very good deals on things i needed .. but also could be resold for profit

ie: cast iron grill.. he paid $600 for.. i paid $50
skil saw circular saw.. pretty much new... paid $5
mccullough weedwacker.. pretty much new.. paid $5
brand new edger.. paid $5
bush trimmer .. paid $5
some sterling silver candle holders.. paid $1 .. going to $20-$30 on ebay
copper antique pot.. paid $1 .. going for $20-$30 on ebay
lot's of paintings and stone decorations.. decorative stone flower pots.. etc..etc... $1--$5

he also had some very old chinese lady dolls... geisha maybe is what they're called? he knew those were worth money though and wanted $100 each.... may have been a deal but i don't know how to value those so i had to pass

was fun though

coinjim

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2010

I've seen that show too as well as the one called Auction Kings or Auction Hunters on another channel, I don't remember which one has storage auctions.
Don't forget that we only see the interesting ones, there are probably 10 units that they buy with nothing of value in it for every one we see on TV.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've given thought to the storage auctions. You can also get some good deals on silver and other valuables at local auctions. I garage sale from time to time. It's gettin harder to find silver at banks, but there are other ways to get good scores. I really dug around and found ways to get silver for cheap, just have to be smart. Not silver coins, but it all sells the same.

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx

in Seattle a few years back there was a storage auction. The renters wife stopped paying after years, she thought it must not be very important the husband had been renting it sense before they were married and he has never gone to get anything out of it . There was one thing of interest to the husband in the long term storage unit,

his X WIFE.

True story. They lived here in the Boise area. He has gone back to be a full time resident of Washington. Cold case closed.
That is probably worst case. and 1 in 1,000,000

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other

Having worked for a company that owns some storage units and having to clean some out when people don't pay, let me say that the vast majority of them contain nothing but junk and trash. About the most interesting thing coin wise that I've ever seen in one was a little coffee tin with 1 1962 silver Roosevelt dime, a few worthless foreign coins and a 2 cent piece (along with about $10 in clad). The vast, vast, vast, majority of them are one of the following:

1) Trash. Like literally, old newspapers from a few years ago, some worthless magazines, cheap, worthless trinkets, etc.

2) Clothes. And not, "Oh, I can sell these on e-bay" type of clothes but simply old clothes most likely purchased at Wal-Mart 15 years ago with holes and the like. About the only value they have is finding the ones that aren't damaged and donating them to a charity.

3) Broken stuff. Yes, you might think that chainsaw and weedeater might be worth something... till you realize that they are all broken beyond reasonable repair. Etc.

Despite what the TV shows might show, you have to keep one thing in mind, the people's stuff that is being auctioned off sight nearly unseen are people who wouldn't pay for their storage unit. Now, if I was going to be keeping a few motorcycles in good condition, a stash of double eagles, or anything else of real value, I'd pay the $30 a month for the unit. It is only the people who's stuff isn't worth that money to that usually ends up having to be evicted. Storage companies don't like to auction off storage lots like that, it is almost always a loss for them, they'd much rather just have the original owner pay them the unpaid rent. It isn't just stuff that has slipped someone's mind, they will try their best to get into contact with the original owner.

Estate sales, on the other hand, are usually great places to find good deals.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

If you are really thinking of doing this, be very, very, very, very, very leery of "set up" units.

I've been studying this for several years, and have been attending auctions all of my life. I've been flea marketing on the side for 7 years.

All of the SU auctions I've seen were either set ups, pigs in a poke, already gone thru by someone before the auction, made to look good from the door (but just junk and trash from yard sales)....or legitimate units that mostly sold for $1,000 and up.

The last SU auction I went to was a PODS sale. Those were legit units.

I stood and watched one unit sell that was full of beautiful furniture. I was green with envy, even though I didn't bid. The winner paid $750 + 10% BP + 7% sales tax.

Since I was sure he was going to make $10,000 in profit, I offered to help him unload it, just to see what was inside. You know all that beautiful, high end furniture? Every last bit of it was ripped or was badly stained. I don't see how he could make a dime, let alone break even, on that unit.

You'll do much, much, much better at estate auctions, unless you can find legit SU that sell much cheaper.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

silvercop said:
were skunks. only a few weeks left and i am going to throw in the towel (for a while anyway). problem is i am going to have to find something to fill the time void. can't afford another hobby that does not generate money or at least pay for itself.
did have an idea i think i am going to try. got it from a tv show i watched last night called storage wars. groups of people travel around and go to these auctions where contents of storage buildings are sold to the highest bidder. they then resale the items on ebay, craigslist or at flea markets. some make a hefty profit and some lose there @*#. think it might be fun to try anyway.

SC,
Here is what I paint ,and have for over 40 years. I have stuff in museums, and have painted for people all over the world. It's all word of mouth. Very relaxing,no talent required and has payed for plenty of hobbies.The pics if they come out are from Belgium and were painted by me many years ago
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
HH
Rich

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

Two more thoughts:

If you won a storage unit, do you have a place to put a 10x10 unit that is stacked 10 feet tall?

Remember the game show "What is behind door number three?"

Well, storage unit auctions are not a game show. They are played with real cash.

Like I said before, be careful of the "set up" units. I know of one SU facility where I am convinced that 99% of their units are not real units, but empty units filled with trash in boxes and broken $3000 plasma TV's, and then sold at auction...made to look like a real SU auction.

Once they have your cash, there are no returns.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread