Todays $220 in dimes.. little bit of everything! w/pics

Phantomfe3

Jan 31, 2011
in the tightly wrapped machine rolls i like to slice off the rim and push all the dimes through the paper with a marker into a tupperware bin. saves on the hands a little bit. then i take pinches of coins and edge check them, maybe 7-10 coins at a time. takes a little longer but i feel it is physically easier and gives you a better look at the coins.

its especially fun when you get a sight like this (can you spot it?)

photo7.jpg

now ill cut to the chase. $140 in machine rolled dimes, and $80 in hand rolled, $220 total, netted me this;

100_0195.jpg

1964 Rosie
1941 Merc
$1.50 in canadian dimes (2 'year of volunteers' commemoratives)
2001 '2 KOPIYKY' Ukrainian coin
mis-struck 1997 dime
bent dime (mainly just held this one out so it doesnt screw up the coin counter when i cash them in)

the rosie, ukrainian, and most of the canadians came out of the hand rolls, while the merc and the mis-strike came out of machine rolls. overall not a bad day!

heres a closeup of the mis-strike

100_0196-1.jpg

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds. I just been edge checking my dimes. It is to hard to read the dates with my eyes......Matt

Moneypenny

Dec 30, 2010
Florida
Cool, I never got a Canadian commemorative before, and I like the misstrike.

Can't read all the dates, but at least one of the Canadians looks like silver too. I had to look it up and it's really confusing:
through 1966 Canadian dimes were 80% silver
1967, there were two kinds made: 80% silver and 50% silver
1968, there were two kinds made: 50% silver and 99% nickel
Not from mint sets or anything, they just changed the composition partway through the year, like our 1982 pennies. I guess you can tell by weight. Anyway, 2nd down, 2nd from left looks like silver to me.

OP
OP
P

Phantomfe3

Jan 31, 2011
thanks for the insight. ive run accross several 1968 canadian dimes, i think i have six of them, all of them stick to a magnet, so not silver :( thanks though!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Phantom, if you like those non-silver Canadians, I can supply you with hundreds of them a week, if you like.

OP
OP
P

Phantomfe3

Jan 31, 2011
if you were my next door neighbor and you sold them to me dollar for dollar i would do that all day!! canadian dollar is up $.022 over the US right now, 2.2% is a better interest that what im earning on any of my investments! too bad getting them to me would make it not worth it. thanks though!

also i just thought i would add that every time i go to cash in my dimes the machine always miscounts and shorts me, my teller was nice enough to notice that and has reimbursed me with itunes and target giftcards. i think she likes me. :)

Moneypenny

Dec 30, 2010
Florida
Phantomfe3 said:
thanks for the insight. ive run accross several 1968 canadian dimes, i think i have six of them, all of them stick to a magnet, so not silver :( thanks though!

Oh well, was worth a try. :)

blkcwbyhat

Dec 3, 2010
with the different american/canadian dollar pricing and value,would it be worth going to a foreign exchange bank to cash them,or if you lived on the border,go shopping in canada?

OP
OP
P

Phantomfe3

Jan 31, 2011
i live only a few hours from the border so im keeping them in case i decide to take a fishing trip or go up there for some other reason. otherwise if a guy had alot it would be worth it to take advantage of the exchange rate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread