Todays 8 Half Dollar Boxes

db23

Mar 18, 2011
Just got back from vacation and had some boxes waiting for me... :)

I have about 40 boxes set for this week to help make up for missing last week. ;D
Bank 1
Box1
1x 1966

Box2
Skunk

Box3
1x 1952 Franklin

Box4
1x 1968
3x 1964
1x 1941 WLH
1x 1945 WLH
2x 1952 Franklin

Bank 2
Box5
Skunk

Box6
4x 1964
1x 1965
3x 1967
4x 1968

Box7
1x 1942 WLH
3x 1964
2x 1965
2x 1966
11x 1967
9x 1968
6x 1969

Box8
1x 1966
1x 1967

Upvote 0

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Wow, that is some heavy volume. If you dont mind me asking, how do you generally get a bank to order that many boxes for you (Im sure you have many pick up banks, but even still, for 40 boxes, you must do 6, 8, 10+ at certain branches). Would you just ask for 12 boxes, like i would ask for two? Or do you have to build up to that so the banks trust you? Also, what do you tell them? I usually go with the "collector" angle, but it seems like 10, or 15 boxes at once is pretty intense for a "collector". Anyways, great finds in your first of many this week. Congrats.

Chris.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! :icon_thumleft:

I'd find a way to do 40 boxes a week as well if they produced anything near that here.

OP
OP
db23

db23

Mar 18, 2011
TheRockDoc said:
Wow, that is some heavy volume. If you dont mind me asking, how do you generally get a bank to order that many boxes for you (Im sure you have many pick up banks, but even still, for 40 boxes, you must do 6, 8, 10+ at certain branches). Would you just ask for 12 boxes, like i would ask for two? Or do you have to build up to that so the banks trust you? Also, what do you tell them? I usually go with the "collector" angle, but it seems like 10, or 15 boxes at once is pretty intense for a "collector". Anyways, great finds in your first of many this week. Congrats.

Chris.
I generally order 4 boxes a week per bank. This weeks 40 will be from 10 different banks across 3 states. I usually only do about 24 boxes a week though. I find spreading my pickup banks out is key to my finds. If one area or bank is full of skunks, it doesn't ruin my whole week.

I have never ordered more than 6 boxes at a time, though I know some of the branches wouldn't mind if I did. I just went into a new bank this afternoon and asked for $3000 (6 boxes), they said it'll be here Thursday. I don't ask for boxes anymore, I ask in terms of dollars.

I find that once the bank knows you are going to come for the boxes and they won't be stuck with them, they'll order you whatever you request.

There's a few branches that know I'm looking for silver, but most of them just know me as the half dollar collector. Sometimes I'll even bring in a few clad proofs or comems to show them to the tellers that order for me. I've also gone the gift card route for a few of my tellers, usually enough to cover a box of joe from dunkin donuts - it's amazing how happy it makes them.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Wow, that is alot of volome. I love it. So, do you strategize and plan it out so you are picking up all from brinks/loomis (one carrier) and then dumping strictly with the other, or a different one? Or do you mix it all up, (pick up from brinks/loomis/garda, and dump with all as well)? I know each bank has its own main vault so technically its own coin. But, I also understand that in the end, it very well could all make it to the same place if its brinks or loomis. (the same carrier). Hopefully that question isnt prying to much, Im sure you have had to learn what you do by trial and error, and expirience. I think im just progressing through this hobby and I want to understand the process as much as possible. A few months ago, I thought 2 boxes a week was absolutely crazy. Now, I find that I am going crazy if I cant do 6 or 8 per week..... This hobby is crazy, I think I'm going to go look for some halves now. All this talk is making me withdraw a bit... :help:

OP
OP
db23

db23

Mar 18, 2011
TheRockDoc said:
Wow, that is alot of volome. I love it. So, do you strategize and plan it out so you are picking up all from brinks/loomis (one carrier) and then dumping strictly with the other, or a different one? Or do you mix it all up, (pick up from brinks/loomis/garda, and dump with all as well)? I know each bank has its own main vault so technically its own coin. But, I also understand that in the end, it very well could all make it to the same place if its brinks or loomis. (the same carrier). Hopefully that question isnt prying to much, Im sure you have had to learn what you do by trial and error, and expirience. I think im just progressing through this hobby and I want to understand the process as much as possible. A few months ago, I thought 2 boxes a week was absolutely crazy. Now, I find that I am going crazy if I cant do 6 or 8 per week..... This hobby is crazy, I think I'm going to go look for some halves now. All this talk is making me withdraw a bit... :help:
Most of my halves are delivered by Loomis, 1 bank uses Garda and 1 uses Dunbar. I haven't found a Brinks supply close enough for me to be able to consistently order from, only Brinks boxes I've gotten were from a bank ~150 miles away...

I primarily dump at TD Bank (Garda), which works out great because they also will not order halves, so it's not like I'm removing a potential supply bank. The main thing is that I try to never dump at a bank where I buy, not even a different branch.

I have a spreadsheet I setup to track my orders so I know when and where I need to be picking up from. During the week I pick up from banks near or on the way to work. On the weekend I pickup from banks around home (about an hour away). Here's a screen shot of my spreadsheet (edited to remove bank names and stuff)

Attachments

• Spreadsheet.jpg
    Spreadsheet.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,713

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Wow!....that's a lot of work doing all those boxes, but it certainly appears that
you are scoring very well with your set up. Very happy for you. It's out there,
for the finding and you certainly have proven me correct.
Way to go!
rileyboy

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! That's some serious volume. How do you find time to dump that much?

Box 7 would be like a semi-dream box for me. Very nice :icon_thumright:

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice boxes. You get enough volume and your gonna hit some good batches.

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
The most well organized system I have ever read about. One question - how did you go about finding the boundaries of the different couriers? Ie; Loomis, Garda... I have picked up from banks with in a 35 mile radius and they are all the same --loomis which are horrible in my area. According to other members, Des Moines is the holy Grail for dumps from around the state to be brought back to.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some nice finds and still proves, as Riley says, "it is still out there!" May your next boxes double in silver finds!

apush :read2:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
apush said:
Those are some nice finds and still proves, as Riley says, "it is still out there!" May your next boxes double in silver finds!

apush :read2:

Oh it's out there alright!! Just not out there in my area.. All skunks!!!

Wished I was out there in your parts.. Anyone ever plan to do a road trip to a target rich area for CRHing? Just order a ton of boxes from that area.. drive or fly there just for the CRHing?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread