Today’s beach hunt

afxtwin

Nov 12, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Deteknix Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the beach today, gorgeous day! Picked up a 1962 quarter and a 1944 P nickel. About a week ago I found a 1942 S nickel at the same beach. IMG_4355.JPG IMG_4354.JPG IMG_4353.JPG IMG_4352.JPG IMG_4346.JPG IMG_4356.JPG IMG_4357.JPG

I used electrolysis to clean them. Still working out the kinks. They aren’t key dates so I don’t care if they are “ruined”. How do u guys clean the more valuable coins? Olive oil soak?

HH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 11

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your finds. I wouldn't clean any valuable coins or key dates. But it boils down to, they are yours, so what ever makes you happy.

OP
OP
afxtwin

afxtwin

Nov 12, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Deteknix Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your finds. I wouldn't clean any valuable coins or key dates. But it boils down to, they are yours, so what ever makes you happy.

Yah I’m thinking that I want to display my lesser valuable finds completely clean. Anything worth money will def stay as original as possible.

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a beach hunter myself I tend to only clean the stuff I can't ID. I like the look of tarnished silver, it tells a story of what the coins been through. I used electrolysis on a 2 reales to get the date off of it and ruined the patina and wish I could take it back. That is the only method I have found that will clean my silver coins off the beach though

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have ruined a few coins using electrolysis but they were pretty toasted anyways. I think that in some cases you can leave a coin or token or whatever in there too long. So when I use it, I try to use it sparingly and then rinse very well, finished with a coat of olive oil

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice coins! :occasion14:

As for cleaning, IMHO; I would not clean any potential rare or key date coins, but since they are yours do what you feel is best. :icon_thumleft:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LOOKS LIKE WASHINGTON WAS SICK A NEEDED A ALKA SELTZER FOR HIS COLD .NICE FINDS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions